Cry Baby

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BubbleTea, May 10, 2005.

1. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

I have a goat that cries.....allll the time. :waa: Do any of you have this problem???? What are some solutions???

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

is it by itself? goats need to be with other goats.

3. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

No...she is with 8 other goats

4. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi BubbleTea,

How old is she?

Is this something that has just recently started or has it been from the beginning?

I wouldn't consider excessive crying normal and would watch her for any other indications of discomfort.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

5. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

She is 4 years old.....She had kids about 6 weeks ago and it has been since then....we took the kids away to bottle feed.

6. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I know that when I have a situation that I need to constantly check on my goats frequently, they start crying for me alot more than normal. They know that if they cry enough, I will come out and check on them. (and they might even get food) So they have learned the bad habit from me. You might want to make sure that you aren't doing anything to encourage her to cry.

Otherwise, she might be just crying for her babies or have milk that hurts her udders, I don't really have experience in that department.

7. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi BubbleTea,

Six weeks seems like a long time to cry for her babies, even if she could visually see them.

Six weeks seems like a long time to still have a full bag also, but I don't really know the milk breeds well enough to say that with complete certainty about them.

As Croenan suggested, have you started any new routines that might have a habit started? If not, I would be concerned and keep a close eye on her for any other symptoms.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

8. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

No. I have not started any new routine.... She is a Nubian but all my other goats are too and they hardly ever "talk"/"YELL".

9. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

has she ever raised other babies. Or is this her first. Are there other moms with their kids, she may fell that they are hers and that she needs them.
    Lyn

10. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

She has had 3 other kiddings, all of which have been taken away....no mom's with the kids either

11. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

Are you milking her> I raise and milk nubians, this is very unusual.
    I take all my babies, at birth, and bottle feed, and milk the does. I think she might have something else going on, check her hooves, and make sure she is getting her water, and food, how is her milk supply? How does her udder feel?
    I know my gals, cary when they see me, cause daddy, [dh], gives cookies to them a couple of times a day, and now they want them from everyone. yup, spoiled rotton.
    But I would check, something isn't right with this doe, for her to be crying all the time. She is trying to tell you something, and I don't think it is the kids.