crusted eyes

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by bob clark, Nov 10, 2005.

1. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I don't think you'd do any harm by using a warm, wet cloth to wipe their eyes, and help them to open. I hope it isn't an infection of some sort, though. What is the condition of the nest box (if they're still using it)? Perhaps it might need a cleanout?

NeHi Mama

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

4. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Hmm. I've noticed in most of my litters that the young normally open their eyes around day 10. I would expect all yours, at day 20 to have opened their eyes already. Wonder what's going on?

NeHi Mama

5. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hello Bob ,, I 'think' you've had a problem and didn't realize it :stars: ,, kits 'normally' open thier eyes around 9 - 10 days ,, if your's are 20 days and ,, out of the nextbox and eyes still closed ,,

chances are they have what is commonly called 'nestbox eye' ,, the treatment I've been told about is ,, use a warm water rag like you're thinking of useing ,, soak and clean all their eyes to get them open ,, then use a small amount of antibotic eye ointment (I don't know if you can get antibotic eye drops ?) put a little in each eye ,,

you'll probably have to do this for as many days 5 - 7 - 10? ,, as long as it takes to clear them all up and keep them clear ,, might want to also add antibotics to the water bottle to 'help' the process along ,,

Now about the nestbox ,, I was warned about nestbox eye when I first got back into raiseing rabbits soo I'm kinda anal :eek: about cleaning it ,,

,, I first clean the nest of 'anything' left in as soon after birth as possible (I was warned that leaving 'any' bloody straw / fur etc in the nest could draw ants and have the new litter swarmed !! ) just the thought of finding that !! gives me shivers :eek:

since kits eyes 'start' opening around day 9 ,, about day 7 / 8 I will take the nest replace 'all' the straw and just put 'some' of the does 'clean' fur back in ,,

then around day 11 - 14 when the kits are starting to hop in and out of the nest ,, I will clean out again adding fresh straw - adding back clean fur this time will depend on if I have clean fur available - since useually kits are well furred up by this time I don't 'worry' if I don't add any / much fur back ,,

(I'm calmer about no fur in 'warm' temps / winter is different - thats when saving all the extra fur from warm weather litters comes in handy) around this time is also when I will turn the nest on its side to help make it easier for any kits to get back in , that get out 'early'

you have to remember that altho the nest may 'appear' clean that all the little ones will be / have been peeing on the nesting material and that gives germs a thriving comunity to grow in ,, and attack the kits eyes as soon as they begin to slit open :bash: giving them an eye infection before their little eyes even get open good ,,

hope the litter gets better soon ,,

PS if these are for your freezer and you give them antibotics in their water remember to leave a 3 to 4 weeks time period free of anything before you butcher ,,, 4 weeks old now - say 2 weeks of treatment - don't butcher before 10 weeks ,, just me ,, 9 weeks might would be ok ,, but 'I' would wait just in case ,,

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

:confused:

Hi Bob ,,, Hows the litter doing ???

7. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

We use human drop for a few days help great.
    Liz iN NY
    Teacup Farm

8. Serena

Serena Well-Known Member

I have found that you can use over the counter triple antibiotic ointment in the eyes also to clear up nestbox eye and other eye ailments. Much cheaper than anything specifically for eyes. I have used this on pups, kittens and bunnies. A trick I learned when snowed in one winter (not much snow but no vehicle to get into town) and had a litter with bad eyes. Figured something was better than nothing. Those eye infenctions can kill if left untreated, have seen it. Not to mention blind or loose the eye completely.

Serena