Crushed limestone, calcium carbonate.. (CCL)

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tamar, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Tamar

Tamar Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I bought a 50lb bag of crushed limestone as I was told it works great if you sprinkle it under the bedding of my goats. Well, my chickens are in the same barn, though one side is for the chickens the other for my goats. During the day, the chickens love to run in there and scratch around, even scratching through the goats "droppings".

I called the feedstore because I didn't want to put down limestone if it was going to hurt the chickens..well.......
    On the bag it says it is for poultry and livestock and industries...

So........is this food? I am sure that it won't hurt the chickens now, but did I get the right stuff to go under bedding to remove odor??
    I will post this in the goat forum too...looking for anyone who has answers either way for chickens or goats. If it is food...how to feed? how much? mixed in with feed? plain??
    Obviously, I am clueless about this product.

Any help wout be appreciated!
    Blessings,
    Tamar

2. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

I just used the same stuff to remove odor from a pen that I had a hog in for a little while. I had to keep her there temporarily, but it is really a pen for my milkers. I plan to wash it down further with nolvasan or something along those lines just for disinfection. The calcium carbonate is great for your chickens. It will certainly help their eggs. It's great for odor, too. It's doing a great job for me. It won't hurt any of your animals. It's just crushed rock, that's all.

no worries, Tamar. :)
    Malissa in Texas

3. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

The calcuim carbonate is a mineral - it will strengthen your egg shells and keep your chickens from taking calcium from their bodies for egg shells. It won't hurt them and will also be useful for your planned use!

~ Carol