Crunchy knees in 1-year old doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by EatChevre, Jan 14, 2007.

1. EatChevre

EatChevre I Brake for Dairy Goats

I was hoof trimming today and noticed that my bred Saanen doe, who is a year old, her hind "knees" were making a terrible crunching, crackling sound every time I picked up her feet. The joints are not swollen. She does not appear to be in any pain. But every time I bent them, they made this awful sound. Both hind knees - not the front. I've never noticed this before while trimming hooves. None of the other three goats had that issue today.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

thanks,
    Jeanne

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

was she tested or raised on CAE prevention? that may be something to look into. Otherwise, I have heard of CAE free goats with crackling joints... usually it's the front knee joints, though.

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

what minerals have your goats available? have you had them on a regular hoof trimming routine?

4. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I would bet you that it is her feet that you are hearing. Over the past few years I have had two does that made a poping sound when they walked. I actually still have one of these does. My first doe had very bad feet when I got her and after many hoof trimmings the sounds went away. I thought it was her knees also, but no swelling in her joints. The doe I have know also did this while heavy with kids last year. After only a couple of trimmings the sound went away.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

An excellent milker bred young can and will ruin her joints and bow her legs if not getting enough calcium. It's alas alot more than just giving her calciumin the form of minerals, they need dieatary calcium in the form of alfalfa (hay or pellets are fine) an then is she getting enough copper for your area and selenium so she can absorb the calcium you feed her? I know in areas of the US they don't breed their does to kid as yearlings for this exact reason...bolusing, bo-se injections and their heads in alfalfa feeders is still not enough calcium for a young doe not to ruin her legs if bred young. Vicki

6. EatChevre

EatChevre I Brake for Dairy Goats

I'll look more into the copper and selenium angle. She does get alfalfa hay when it's available, and when it's not - she gets alfalfa pellets. My girls get the sweet lix minerals free choice. I'll try to read more about bow legs. I will also make a point to trim her hooves more often. All my goats hooves seem to grow extra fast!

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it.

Jeanne