Crows

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by birdie_poo, May 16, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

There was a post here some time back about crows. Well, after years of farmin, they finally found us, and our eggs.

I like to go out to the yard several times a day and collect eggs from nests that are prone to being eaten. ON a few occaisios, I have set them on a table, and forgot about them. Go back to get them and they are gone.

I even cleaned up a nest that hatching eggs were in. There were DIS, and I took them out, intending to freeze them for a guy who feeds them to hawks and owls (rehab), and those got eaten.

I took the goose eggs out from under Abigale, since she is broody and they aren't fertile, set them on top of a table where the dogs hang out, and those were gone.

Now I have a cawing crow that sits on top of a dead tree in the middle of the yard, every single day. My dog chases it, when she hears it, but he's been silent lately.

Now, I know that some of you welcome them, and other's don't. I do not have the means for a bird abatement system, recordings, etc. Here in CA crows are off the list to shoot because the Raven is protected, because some boneheads can't tell the difference between ravens and crows. I still want to peg him with a pellet gun, though.

I'm getting worried that they will get a little more brazan and take more than a few eggs...especially since most of my birds hatch out in the open, then I move them to confinement. I don't want any babies snatched before I can move them, and penning when broody isn't an option, there just isn't any room.

What would you do?

2. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a tough one birdie. I have heard that those computer discs strung on fishing lines scare birds away but that doesn't sound practical in this situation because I am sure it is a large area. If crows are not protected only the ravens I would vote for a BB gun. I have used it here with limited success on English sparrows because they are not protected being an imported species

3. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I may be one of the ones who posted on the Migratory Bird Act and I liive in Oregon, you do need a permitt to shoot them. Now, That permit is really easy to get. In CA I don't know. But if you have a county, or state poultry agent or call the State Agriculture Dept. They can tell you how to get a permit At least up here, they don't like Crows either.

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I don't want to come off sounding harsh, but if you can't afford the losses to predators you MUST pen your livestock. Otherwise you are lucky it is only a crow bothering you. And are you certain it is the crow and not the dogs eating the eggs? I do not know of crows who go after live birds to eat and never seen it documented, but maybe you have witnessed them chasing peeps. If so, I'd like to hear about it.

I have used a milk carton on its side in warm weather with a piece of metal over the side that is skyward, then connected chicken wire around and to the milk crate. Cheap and easy to do and pack up until needed again. You can even put it up agaqinst the chicken house to protect it from wind or within the chicken run to keep it near others but safe from marauders. Or consider building a small raised platform broody pen out of pallet wood.

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

If it is a single crow(and it sounds like it very well may be), watch and wait and scare it pretty good a few times. Crows are very smart and will leave for easier prey. You do need a pretty good hiding spot, though. They can be very wary. Or go with the bb gun.

6. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

The Cd's are a good idea, but not for crows. They like to snatch shiny things and take them back to their nests. Doesn't help that the things are really smart too.

7. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

Crows definately will take young chicks and ducklings. I have seen them team up, one distracts the mama hen and the other one snatches a chick flies up and drops it to the ground. Then flies down and eats the dead chick. They will raid nests if they can get to them. I lock up the mamas and babies until they are big enough to not be crow bait. I have a mama hen in the rabbit barn right now with her chicks.
    Crows are a terrible problem here.
    Denise

8. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Crows pull up mysweet corn as soon as it sprouts,then I shot one with a 12 ga.and hung him on a post in the garden. No more crows came back to visit.I don,t hate crows, I just like my corn better.

9. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I like crows but its almost impossiable to raise corn in my garden,I will be shooting at them this year.Since nothing I have tried to scare them away with works.Bird shot fiirst if that dont work,we will bring out the big gun.
    I have not had a corn crop in years,and I do love corn more than crows.

10. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Interesting Denise, as they were able to learn to kill them themselves instead of waiting for some other demise. Makes sense, especially when you think of how crows have learned to drop mussels or other shellfish onto rocks near the ocean to open them up. They are smart!

11. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

They also have their favorite light pole that they like to perch on and drop the walnuts they steal to the sidewalk below. Always a pile of shells there! Also when they have hatchlings they give me the "what for" when I come out the back door.
    But the only way to raise up the chicks and ducks is to shelter them in a covered pen until well feathered.
    Denise

12. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I've been battling the crows for years and they are too smart for me. They know what the pellet gun looks like and are nowhere to be found if we are setting out their waiting or they will stay out of my range. Yes, they DO steal eggs, even my ceramic nesting eggs, and they kill the babies, so I keep them in a covered run if there are more batches than the dog can keep track of. The ravens are almost as bad. I went out one day and a raven was fighting with my biggest rooster. The blue jays aren't much better.

One thing I learned to appreciate with the crows, they keep the hawks and bald eagles run out of here so I am not losing grown birds to predators.

13. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Can a crow pick up an egg and fly off with it (no shells). I just think that would be diffecult. I'd think one would have to peck the egg and make a hole, then pick it up and fly off with it, in which case you'd see a little bit of mess. And ALL the eggs. Are you talking three or four? How many eggs would a crow eat in one sitting?

Your dog could be eating them, yes they will eat the shells. Or,your dog could be taking them and storing them somewhere.

14. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I think it is her dog, too, a bird would make much more of a mess. Yesterday my dog ate the baby's dinner and I know he did because the plate was TOO clean.
    They get the cracked eggs and I never see anything left.
    One thing that hasn't been said but needs too.....QUIT LEAVING THEM ON THE TABLE. Duh. Sorry to come down on you but duh.
    I would leave something out that would make them sick, it's quiet and who would know but you?