Crown Vetch???????????

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by farmmaid, Aug 1, 2005.

1. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

We need to buy some seed/plugs of crown vetch to plant on bare banks by our new barn and driveway. The land is clay, lots of stones. Which is the best to plant, the seed or plugs AND where do I buy them?...Joan

2. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

I am sorry, I just won't plant it. I have a neighbor that has it planted on their bank and I fight a weekly battle with it trying to take over all of my gardens - both flower and veggie. It is horrible to get rid of if it gets at the wrong place. It spends through runners under the ground and you cannot leave one part of it behind or you will start all over. :grit:

It got so bad in one bed that we took everything we could out of the bed and sprayed the bed down with weed killer. We lost some things inspite of our best efforts but the crown vetch still appears.

I believe it is sold by plugs BTW.

Chris

3. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks Chris for your reply. The running effect is what I want. The barn has been placed in a spot that had to be leveled off. It is in the woods leaving 3 sides of the surrounding land banks. Since the crown vetch would have no place else to "run" except into the woods and to the barn, I wanted the natural look. Our home and barn are in a wooded area with no gardens (gardens are 6 miles away on the banks of the Susquahanna River). No neighbors or neighboring land boarders at all close to interfere with their land. I have not been able to find a source for the vetch...will continue the search...Joan

4. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

Joan,

I got some crowns (plugs) this spring from Musser Forests. They were planted in very clay ground in the blazing sun and have done very well. I put mine on the slope for my raised septic mound since I wanted to put something there that wouldn't have to be mowed to stay looking good (also want it to look more natural since it is at the edge of the yard where the field begins.)

You can order online from Musser. I did have to wait quite a bit longer than originally told before my order arrived (about 3 weeks), but that could be because I also ordered about 100 trees at the same time.

Seems like I have seen crown vetch offered in other catalogs, but none come to mind at the moment. I chose Musser over the others because I was getting trees from them too and figured the shipping on the vetch would be next to nil if I added them to my seedling order.