Crow attacking a squirrel??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cqhorse, May 15, 2006.

1. cqhorse

cqhorse Member

Hi all. Been a while since I was on this site. I had a question I couldn't get answered so I figured if anyone would know it would be some of you great people!

I am located in British Columbia, Canada. Last week I saw a big fat grey squirrel sitting ontop of a tree (a two story tall cedar hedging type tree.) These three crows were making a huge racket so I went out to investigate. These three crows were taking turns dive bombing this squirrel. This went on for at least 10 mintues. This Squirrel would not move even though these crows were going at him. I figured that either the squirrel had a nest she was protecting or the crows had a nest that the squirrel was into. It seemed weird either way that this squirrel refused to leave his post.

Yesturday I see this same looking grey squirrel on the ground in the brush and this crown standing above it crowing away (this is about 40 feet away from the scene of the last crime.) It got me thinking how I never figured out what the deal was last time.

So about 10 minutes ago I see that same squirrel in the hedging again and a single crow making a racket about it. My dog goes to chase the squirrel and the squirrel runs across the lawn and across the driveway into the next set of hedges persued the whole time by this crow who is trying to pick him up and seems to be unable too....

So... at last- my question. Do crows kill squirrels?

(a small question for such a long story, I know!!!) Any ideas on what I was witnessing?

2. They don't kill squirrels but what they are doing is defending their nest of eggs. Squirrels are notorious egg theives. It's one of their spring favorites! I think it's probably the only meat the squirrels actually eat in their diet.

3. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Yep, some idjit *introduced* fox squirrels here and our native song bird population has taken a nosedive! Dunno if the crows will actually kill the squirrel, but I wouldn't doubt it, they are strong smart birds.

4. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

Not only protecting the eggs, squirrels will eat any baby bird.

5. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

i once witnessed a bald eagle chasn down a crow :)

from my 2002 mississippi river canoe trip journal:

note: we were getting a portaged around the dam on lake Winni [winnibigoshis]<sp?

While driving down the road on our portage, (I'm sitting in the pickup bed w Midnight) Wolfhound Hollers to look ahead!! there's an Eagle in front of us!! HUH? I turn to see this bald Eagle, Chasing some large black bird (crow or raven) down the center of our lane on the road about eye level!! it was only 15-20feet ahead of us and Pounding that air with its mighty wings!!! Totally amazing!! It lasted for a few minutes and we were doing like 35-40 MPH!!