crosscut saws

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by caberjim, Oct 5, 2004.

1. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Looking for advice on 1/2 man crosscut saws. We have a fair amount of wooded acreage with plenty of trees already down on the new homestead. Thats good because our promary heating source is woodstove. I really would prefer not to use a chainsaw and have decided on the old-fashioned way because I have the time and like the workout.

Question is - where is a good place to get such a saw? Cumberland wants 280 for a 5' blade. Seems pricy. I'm leary about getting one off e-bay as they seem to be sold mostly for decoration.

Any advice would be welcome.

jim

2. tramp

tramp Active Member

I'm looking for one of those saws as well. Garage sales in the country, flea markets......both are good places to check. I've found several saws, but I think the people selling them were smoking rope......the prices they were asking was phenominal. So, i keep searching, 'til a good deal comes along.
    We are in the planning stages for our little peice of heaven in the middle of nowhere. Gathering tools and supplies, reading and more reading. Tools being the big challenge, as i want to use strictly "people powered" tools.

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I bought a crosscut saw at an estate sale from a man who had had it for 65 years, he got it from his stepfather, I've had it over 20 years and used it every winter for 7 of those years.

If Herself still had the time we'd still be pulling the "misery whip." I gave $15 for it and it's still in perfect shape; handles and all.

4. horselogger

horselogger Well-Known Member

look in the back of mother earth for a company called the seneca falls tool compaany.they are in upstate new york....have fun..Lee

5. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Thumper/inOkla you beat me to it. :waa: :waa:

7. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

Iwould subject talking to friends and neighbors frist I did and found one for free works great . there are quite a few web site that the saw start at about $80.00 not bad for a new one

8. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

Crosscut Saw co. Seneca Falls New York 13148 I just got their catalog today their prices run$161.65 -$180.00 these are for ONE man saws this all I can do for you good luck howard