Crossbreed or purebred for resale value?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Rick Allen, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Rick Allen

Rick Allen Well-Known Member

We have an older Jersey that is still productive but is getting on in the years. I thought we'd AI her with another Jersey, Guernsey, or mayby a Brown Swiss, although a BS would give a very big calf. I know the crossbreeding would probabally give us a very hearty calf. If its a bull we would get more meat. If its a heffer would get more milk and larger calves from her in the future, but I'm concerned about resale value as well. When I get a replacement for our Jersey I know I can sell my older Jersey for $800.+ The same might not be true for a crossbred cow. I don't see crossbreds advertised so I don't know how desirable they are. In the end I'd like to be able to sell our current cows replacement for a good price when the time comes. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

My two cents: if I were to AI my Jersey I'd go for sexed semen. A Jersey bull calf is the least desireable outcome of all the possibilities and a Jersey heifer calfis the most desireable - pricewise.

3. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Hi,

And a Guernsey/Jersey bull calf is even less desirable. Unless of course it is intended for your freezer! :)