Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used vitamix mark 20 today. It works great, I love the size, the price I paid was phenomonal, but I have no idea what it can and can't do. Have any of you actually owned a Mark 20 back in the day? Is it only used for blending? Can I grind wheatberries into flour? Nuts into nut butter? What is the concept behind the posts I read that say I can cook soup? I will probably never be able to afford another vitamix (did i mention I bought this one for $20?), so i don't want to kill this one. Thanks for your help. If someone tracks down an owner's manual for this model, that would be great. I really can't find anything on this model on the internet.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, folks, it's all you. Vitamix said it was a model from the 50's or earlier, probably the 40's. They had zero information on it. Here's hoping someone's mama had one that you remember her using :)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
We have my MIL's old one. But I think its from the 70's. Its all stainless steel and the pitcher part has a spigot.

We have the book that came with it around here somewhere. Problem is I am too busy right now to take the time to hunt it down! :(

It grinds grain, makes hot soup, You run it long enough and it will heat the contents. and frozen ice cream you put frozen fruit in and as it grinds it, it turns to ice cream. I have never tried to either so don't know how well it works.

I have ground white rice into rice flour, and dried soy beans into soy flour. The machine I have handled it effortlessly.

We have also used it to grind apples up and then strained them through a cheesecloth to make homemade apple cider.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
I have the same style Vita-Mix as TerriLynn. I used it to grind wheat berries into flour before I got my WonderMill, and it works really well for that, especially if you freeze the grain first. Otherwise it really heats the grain as it grinds it. It's great for making smoothies, too. Ice cubes or frozen fruit. It doesn't actually "freeze" anything, just turns already frozen stuff into shakes or smoothies. It does heat and make soup. I don't have a manual, but I just played with it and figured out what it could do. Congrats on a good bargain - I found mine at a garage sale for about $13, so I know your joy! :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen the one with the spigot on the bottom. That looks like a great one.mmI think I may just be cautious and use it as a blender. I really would hate to ruin the only vitamix I will own. Thanks for your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts