Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone that can tell me If I was to use a Nubian buck to breed my Lamancha doe, what it would look like? Ears like the Lamancha or Nubian. I Have 3 LaMancha does and have been considering breeding my best milker with a Nubian buck. I wasn't sure what genes would be dominant in the off spring. Any info would be appreciated... Thanks

·
Ages Ago Acres Nubians
2,609 Posts
Up until last year, we'd never had any cross bred babies...but we took care of a nubian doe, that had been bred to a lamancha buck (she got kicked by a horse and needed some TLC) She kidded with twins. Both had the most adoreable elf/fairy ears. Just simply too cute. Especially with an entire herd of long ears LOL. We kept both Victor & his sister Vivian. Victor is a total goofball. Big, silly wether. Vivian is smart, sort of demanding. Very affectionate. She is bred to a spotted nubian buck and due to kid this month. (can't wait to see what type ears we get) They both sound like lamanchas too.
Vivi as a newborn

Victor as a newborn

Vivian as a yearling

susie, mo ozarks

·
Registered
805 Posts
"Ears like LaMancha or Nubian?"

Yes.<G>

We have a yearling doe her who's mom is the one we saved from Tetanus and her sire was a purebred Nubian. She has 'cookie' ears- that is ears that are LM type, but have a bit of a longer lobe on them. And her nose is slightly roman. :) All LM though in personality.

We named her Simone, after a friend of mine's movie actress' sister- no kidding. Acts like a diva too.....

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
I have a LaMancha/Nubian doe. She has cute little fairy ears. Last year, bred to a Nubian, she had twin boys with long Nubian ears, and a doeling with the elf ears. What a mix!

NeHi

·
Registered
291 Posts
Last year my LaMancha doe was bred to my nubian. She had one cute little doeling with Nubian ears and one cute little guy with LaMancha ears. It could go either way, you never know what they'll get until the pop out. :)

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,877 Posts
pure lamancha when crossed to any goat with ears will throw lamancha ears, if you keep breeding the lamancha eard animals to eard animals you will eventually get goats with ears,

i am not sure how many generations but probably two or three

the doe you posted a pic of with a total lack of ears is most deffinatly going to throw more lamancha eard goats no matter what you breed her too,

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Ah, what a pretty girl your Honey is! If she's pure LM, she's going to have elf earred babies. Pretty much like the cutie in the 2nd post. :) I bred my lone Nubian doe to one of our LM bucks and got the prettiest little broken blonde elf earred doeling from her. Now my LaNubian doeling is about to be a first freshener (around the 22nd) and I can't wait to see what her babies look like (bred to chocolate colored LM buck). Less than 3 weeks to go. :D

eta - topsider: beautiful girls in your pic.

·
Registered
291 Posts
pure lamancha when crossed to any goat with ears will throw lamancha ears, if you keep breeding the lamancha eard animals to eard animals you will eventually get goats with ears,

i am not sure how many generations but probably two or three

the doe you posted a pic of with a total lack of ears is most deffinatly going to throw more lamancha eard goats no matter what you breed her too,
Sorry but this is not true, at least not all the time. I have a pure LaMancha doe, I bred her to a purebred Nubian buck and got two kids. One with ears, one without. :shrug:

Genetics lol. Who can say what you'll get. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I seen a reference to "LaNubian" and "NuMancha" any difference with how you came up with these names? Is it LaMancha buck to Nubian doe "LaMancha" and Nubian buck to Lamancha doe "NuMancha"?? Just curious...

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
By the way, just wanted to tell you your LaMancha Honey is one good looking goat. Newsflash, just had two more of those LaNubians hit the ground here at Topside one....The circle of life has begun in 2009.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,877 Posts
the earless gene is dominant, if you breed a goat with the earless traight to anything with ears and you get kids born with ears then you have just found out that your lamancha has atleast SOME mixed blood in there somewhere,

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
I'll take some photos tomorrow or the next sunny day. Should have some more hit the ground tonight...Luvmygoats3, still love that "Honey"

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Dunno about Lamanchas, but we've crossed out Nubian and Alpine genetics for a couple of years and ended up with some awesome milkers with 'airplane' ears. Some longer ears, some shorter, but with an increased milk production (but maintaining butterfat production) in the does. "Gopher" it!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks! She's a very gentle and quiet.
Heres another picture of her...
and my other two LaMancha's
"Nellie" & "Rosie". This picture
of Nellie & Rosie was taken a
few months ago. Nellie ( younger one)
is very sassy,always seems to be looking
for trouble but she can be a sweet.
Hopefully she will will outgrow that once
she freshens in March. Rosie is my oldest
goat ( will be 5) and also a very good goat.
She will also freshen in March. These goats
all came from the same home. I have only
owned goats since april 2008, So I'm still very
new at this . I do know one thing for sure, I LOVE GOATS!!. :happy:

·
Registered
629 Posts
We had a LaMancha buck that was a notorious fence-jumper and got in with our Nubian does and the result was kids with the "in-between" ears. They were darling, of course, and we kept one doeling and bred her (when old enough) to a LaMancha buck (not the same one). We also let that same buck breed our one lone Alpine doe so I will post pics of those kids when they arrive so you can see the ears!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I love goat pictures!!! I've never really been a fan of LaMancha ears (or lack thereof) but always heard such great things about their personality and production. And those elf-eared goats are hella cute! I might have to find me a LaMancha buck for my Nubian this year!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts