Crocus growin'

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by twind59, Feb 14, 2005.

1. twind59

twind59 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have exprience propagating crocus's? I have just a few that pop up in my yard at this time of year. The rest of the year I cannot find them. Everything I've read says to divide the bulbs in the fall.(when I cannot find them) If they are dug in late winter after the bloom if finished, will they survive dividing the bulbs at that time?
    Thanks
    Barry
    Indianapolis

2. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Barry, it's true that spring-blooming bulbs are best lifted and divided after they go dormant in early summer -- and of course, if you don't keep track of them somehow, they just seem to disappear! If you can mark the spots somehow (paint the end of a large-headed nail and push it in by the plant, for example, if you don't want to use stakes) or measure where they are from a fixed point (and keep track of that paper you wrote it on!), that would be best.

Otherwise, you can dig up the bulbs anytime you can see the foliage, realizing that you may sacrifice the flowers for a season or two. Lift the clump with as much soil as you can and replant it immediately, and water it in well. Be sure to fertilize after bloom is finished. (This is a good idea for all bulbs; it helps ensure next year's flowers.)

Best of luck!

3. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Along this line. I missed a pack of crocus bulbs last fall when I was planting. Can I sneak them in early this spring or are they a lost cause?

Trisha-MN

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

It's possible to plant them as soon as you can get them into the ground, provided they haven't withered. Good bulbs feel heavy and solid, like potatoes or onions; if they're wrinkled, dry, and hard, they're dead.

Remember to water them in well when you plant them!

They won't bloom this spring, but they should in the seasons to come.

5. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

This thread about crocus reminds me. I work in a drive in bank and every February many people come through telling me how shocked they are to see flowers blooming this time of year.
    They can never seem to remember that they ALWAYS bloom this time of year. :haha:
    I have always planted my bulbs in the Spring as that is when someone gives them to me. They do just fine.

6. twind59

twind59 Well-Known Member

The answer finally hit me. I took a couple of craft sticks...look like tongue depressers...and dipped one end of each in bright white exterior house paint and let them dry overnight. This morning I went out and pushed one into the ground next to each patch of crocus with the white end up about half the height of my lawnmower blade. That should last until later in the year when I can more safely dig and separate the bulbs.
    Does anyone know how many additional bulbs a crocus bulb can produce each year?
    Thanks to those who offered up suggestions.
    Barry