Crock Pots

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by FiddleKat, Jan 13, 2007.

1. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

We have two crock pots. We just got one for a Christmas present and just used it. Its the newer kind of crock pot that has the ceramic dish/liner that can be removed for easy clean up.

I made a beef stew and after three hours on high the potatoes and carrots are just a tad on the hard side. I ended up pouring it into a regular stew pot and finished cooking it on the stove to help soften up the pototoes and carrots. The corn was fine, and the meat seemed soft. Although I usually pre-cook them and brown them up first.

Anyway, I am thinking that the traditional crock pot, (the one the ceramic liner can't come out) actually seems to cook faster that the newer one.

Anyone notice this?

2. menollyrj

menollyrj Joy Supporter

Yes, I have had to adjust times on my newer crock pot too...

-Joy

3. FiddleKat

Tonight was the first time I used it. I like the idea of being able to take the liner out and clean it.
    I am planning on using it monday to cook a boiled dinner in it of cornbeef and cabbage for my dad's birthday.

4. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to of them and one cooks hotter than the other. It takes a bit of adjusting sometimes.

If you do a search there are zillions of crockpot recipes out there!

BTW, I'd think that beef stew might take a bit longer and also, maybe the veggies need to be sliced thinner.

5. FiddleKat

Yup, had them sliced to about 1/4 inch the most or less. Ive done the beef stew in my old crock pot a zillion of times and it always came out great. Veggies would slide right off the spoon when you picked them up.
    Tonights stew tasted good, its just the veggies could have used a little longer to cook.

6. floramum

floramum Well-Known Member

If I May Borrow Your Thread A Bit......how Does One Adjust The Spices For Crock Pot Cooking? I Bought One W/ceramic Lift Out And This Is The First Crock Pot I've Had In Over 20 Years. I Cook On High For 2 Or 3 Hours To Get The Meal Done. Then The Spices Are All Washed Out. Prob. I Overcook....i Got One As I Wanted To Try Life Without Propane Stove Since I Have Allergies. Didnt Work......small Kitchen Couldnt Handle Dragging Out All Those Large Electric Things To Cook In.

Any Idea On The Spice Thing..?

Thanks, Mum

7. bare

bare Head Muderator

They are called slow cookers for a reason, the idea being that you can toss your stuff in there and have it ready for dinner when you get home. Three hours doesn't seem like near long enough for stew.

One thing I noticed early on in my crockpot cooking career was the recommendation to put your veggies like spuds and carrots on the bottom of the crock because they take longer to cook than the meat. I've never had a problem using that method. Also, don't keep taking off the lid to check if it's done, it takes a long time to build the heat back up.

8. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Ditto what bare said. As long as I can get my food in there by 11:00 or so, it's usually ready by six. I LOVE my crockpots. I also have two, both with the removable liner.

Flora -- what are you cooking for 2 or 3 hours and still getting it done, let alone overcooked??? Most of the things I cook take at least 5 hours on HIGH. I've never had a problem with spices; I just dump it all in there and the food turns out great. But if you do find it to be a problem, try adding the spices maybe 1 hour before it's done.

Seriously, the secret to good crockpot cooking is to set it and forget it!

9. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    remember there aren't any spice police to write you a ticket if you put more in. I put spices in the beginning, and do a "touch up" swish at the end. I like stuff spicey and always so twice as much anyway(except for salt)

10. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Put the spices in when it's done cooking.....slo cooking means the flavor is still there without spices.

11. Pouncer

Pouncer Well-Known Member

Well since I am out of the house all day working, I take a small roast, frozen, and set it on chopped onions and spuds-whatever I have. A few drops of Lea & Perrins, a whisper of garlic, maybe a bay leaf if I remember, and that's about it. I turn it on low, covered, and when I get home (around 10, 11 hours later) the roast is flaky tender, veggies all cooked but usually not mushy (one and a half inch cubes) and there is a ton of liquid in the bottom too. Works like a charm.

Another thing I do, with a roast, is to put in without veggies. Add garlic powder, sprinkle some taco seasoning over it, and let it go-frozen. Come home, lots of liquid left in it too. Remove roast using tongs since it falls apart....put in skillet, fork apart, add tons of taco seasoning and use juice from crockpot to keep from sticking...perfect taco/burrito filling every time.

12. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

They have now come out with a liner bag for the crockpot, just put in the bag, put in your goodies, cook, and NO CLEANING ! Just take out the bag !

13. FiddleKat

Hey GrannyG I tried those with my older crock pot and they work great! Except for one thing, they sometimes still do leak liquid out of the bag. However the clean up is still by far alot easier than if you used no liner bag.

14. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I hatehatehate those liners! They leak for me!

BTW, an easy way to clean a really messy crockpot is to put water and dish detergent in it, turn it on and let it cook on low as long as you wish. Cool it and rinse it.

15. FiddleKat

That's a good idea!! I usually just end up letting the soapy water soak overnight. But yeah, those liners still do leak!

16. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Wow, you all use a crock pot to cook FOOD??? (joking! I knew you could do that with them...)

I have 2 of them, 1 is used for melting candle wax, and another for homemade soap.

I really should get one for cooking in. It would be great to toss in the stuff and just walk away and let it cook.

17. lvshrs

lvshrs Well-Known Member

I have two with the removable pot and I love it! I made chili yesterday in mine.YUM!

18. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

And just how much garlic is that? :)

The burrito filling sounds good too.

19. Janette

Janette Well-Known Member

Great thread. :) I'll be finding something in my freezer to put in the crockpot today. I'm using up some 2004 beef. Thanks for the reminder.

20. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I got my crockpot with a removal ceramic liner when someone tipped me off that's it's so wonderful when you make something like my swedish meatballs because you make them, put them in there, let them cook for a couple of hours, serve, let it all cool down, put it in the fridge and i'm able to take it out the next day and start heating again - all without making any more messes.

I got a rival one - it's stainless with clear glass top. I like it except for the fact that only the side handles stay cool when it's cooking - everything else gets hot.