Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I posted some information awhile back on the Fiber board about this.)

I joined up with a group on Facebook earlier this summer (Feel Better Friends) that is making a world of difference for some very sick children.

We crochet dolls for children that are facing cancer and other illnesses as a friend to help them feel better (www.FBFdolls.org). These dolls are requested for individual children and the volunteers are given a couple pictures of the child along with some basic information. The volunteer then crochets a doll to look like the child including a detachable wig for those children undergoing treatment. We all follow a standard pattern for the doll but can get very creative with the clothes and any accessories.

The requests are coming in now at a steady rate and we are looking for more volunteers to join us in this awesome adventure :)
If you crochet and are interested in working with us please visit fbfdolls.org and sign up to be a volunteer dollmaker. It is one of the best decisions that I ever made and the volunteers are a wonderful caring and supportive group that work together to help these kids.

We would love to make a doll for every child who is sick and could use a friend so if you know of a child facing an illness that could use a little comfort please give the family the website www.fbfdolls.org and have them request a doll - or do it yourself :) Production of these dolls averages about 3 wks.

I am currently working on a doll for a 2 year old who has a rare immune system disorder and has to wear a mask in public. She is in the hospital right now with pneumonia (again). So she will be getting some crocheted band-aids, a mask and a doctor's coat for her doll along with 2 outfits so that she can change the dolly's clothes :)

If you have any questions please ask................

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a very easy to understand pattern. We have some experienced people and some that haven't been crocheting very long at all. The great thing is that we all help each other. There is a Facebook page just for the doll makers so that we can exchange ideas and help each other. If someone is stuck they post a question or picture and they get lots of responses!
As long as the stitches are tight enough to hold in the stuffing you are fine :) Most of us use a G hook, and the gauge is not as important as the fact that the stitches are not too loose for the stuffing to come out.
Please join us, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Wendy, it truly is one of the best decisions I ever made (becoming a FBF doll maker).
This group has already crocheted and delivered over 100 dolls since May (I have lost track of the actual numbers) I am making at least 1 doll per month and can't see myself stopping that pace.....the need is so great.
So many of the requests coming in are for kids with Leukemia. I never knew that they go through about 2 years of treatments! They are so brave and deserve a little comfort.
The founder of our group, Shanon, first thought of the idea because of a young girl in her area. The child's picture was in the paper holding on to one of her dolls and Shanon thought it was a shame that she didn't have a doll that looked more like her (without hair) so she made up the pattern with a detachable wig.
A little boy that I made a doll for put the dolls wig on his head and told his mom that he was growing hair :)
Many of the kids leave the wig off until their own hair comes in. Makes them not feel so alone in this when all their friends have hair and they don't.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I may have to have my daughter show me how to do it. She is crocheting all of the Disney princess dolls right now. Taught herself how to do it. I really don't need another hobby, but what a wonderful thing to do!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Melissa for posting :) I have been busy working on a doll.

The page that you posted is the "fan" page for Feel Better Friends. We also have a page that is secret for the dollmakers so that we are free to share pictures and ideas as we make progress on the dolls.

I let the admins know BlueRose to look for you sign up and make sure to add you to the doll makers page. Thank you for joining us you will be amazed at the support and ideas that you will get from the other volunteers and the joy that helping these kids will give you in return :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Something else to keep in mind for anyone else considering joining the volunteers at Feel Better Friends.......anyone who is new is encouraged to start right away to crochet a "generic" doll (not for a specific assigned child) to test out the pattern for themselves and make sure they are comfortable with the process.
Then once they are comfortable they would move forward to a "veteran" status and get assigned a doll request to fulfill.
I am finishing up a doll this weekend to be shipped out early in the week, so if I don't get back right away to answer any questions it is because I am crocheting :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blue Rose

I noticed your name on the doll makers FB page. I am so glad that you joined us it is a really supportive group and you will love making dolls for these wonderful kids!

They recently changed the status of the FB volunteer page from "secret" to "closed" so come on over and check us out!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/feelbetterfriends/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts