Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am involved in a new group on FB that is crocheting dolls for ill children. There are over 400 people involved at this time.
There is a standard pattern that we use for the dolls but the details are what are key. We personalize the doll to look like the child who will receive it. (removable wig in hair color, eye color, favorite outfit, etc)

My name just recently reached the top of the volunteer list and I am now making a doll for a 7 y/o girl with Leukemia. I am sad there is a need but so happy to be making the doll.

If you are interested in helping out (understand that when your name reaches the top of the list and you are assigned a child you have 2-3wks to complete, 4wks max) please look for "Feel Better Friends Doll Makers" on FB!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Sounds like a very fun project. I would give it a whirl but I just can know for sure I could get it done. Taking care of my mom seems to take more and more time.

I would love to see some pictures of what you are working on!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started today and managed to get the head and legs done, will finish up the body parts tomorrow. I will post a picture when there is visible progress :)

Think about joining us. If your name gets to the top of the list and you are not available at that time I think you are allowed 3 passes. One of the crafters was recently assigned a doll but she has pneumonia and had to pass.....they simply asked her to let them know when she was well and ready for a project.

There is also a sister site simply called Feel Better Friends on Facebook where you call follow some of the progress we are making.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This sounds wonderful! I'm a fairly basic crocheter, and have trouble reading patterns that aren't crystal clear. Can you share the pattern? If it's something I'm able to do, I'd love to participate.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After I make the doll for the girl assigned to me I will probably work up some "blanks" that I can personalize later. (Make all the body parts and possibly add the eyes too. Just wait on the hair color and clothing until I have another request.)
I may even put information on my table at craft shows to gain local attention.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a picture of the doll I am making, so far. I have the first outfit done but have to finish the wig and hopefully 2 more outfits. Her birthday is coming up and I want to get it there before that.

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just sent out the doll this afternoon. Here are the other 2 outfits.

I am having separation anxiety already :) So I am taking a day or two off before I start the next doll which will be a super hero for a 6 y/o local boy who is undergoing Radiation.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts