Critter Problem!!!!!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by alleyyooper, May 6, 2006.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

:flame: Some critter did this a second time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first time I changed the bottom board to one with out an entrance.

[​IMG]

I gave the girls a top entrance instead.

[​IMG]

It was ok for 2 weeks then when checking them yesterday the critter was back.
    Now I am placeing 1/4 inch hardware cloth on the bottom of the bottom board and across the back so the critter can't get at the flashing. I also have a live trap to catch the critter in and permission to throw the trap and critter in the river should it turn out to be a skunk.

These girls were the crankiest bees I have ever worked :grump: . Smoke did seem to faze them :help: . Spraying with syrup didn't either :help: . Just the shadow from you hand had them flying up off the top bars.
    :shrug: So if you have cranky girls that were not like that just a short time ago, you may have a critter problem.

:D Al

2. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I've drowned many a skunk, but now that I'm a little wiser, I like an aspirin egg for them.

3. alleyyooper

:) I caught the critter, A racoon.
    I took the live trap to some state land about 20 miles away. Not sure if there is more or not I will reset the live trap there for another week.

4. dcross

There's ALWAYS more.:)

5. alleyyooper

Caught another coon in the live trap. They sure like those honey bagles I bait the trap with and even the fake honey on a bisket.

The state land might bee filling up soon.

6. auntieemu

auntieemu Well-Known Member

Wow, great that you were on top of this and caught the little devils so quick! Hope you can get them all moved out of your area.

7. alleyyooper

Is hard :dance: To not notice the flashing torn out of the bottom board twice and the mud on the hives them selves.
    I am just afraid that there are even more. Also I wonder how many coons the state land can hold before there are to many :shrug: .

They just love the honey bagles and the honey on biskets I use for bait.

8. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

To save your time, how about electric mesh fencing? We have a lot of predators, mainly bears, and so far so good.

9. alleyyooper

Hives are to far from an elect. outlet. I also don't want to invest in a solar of battery powered charger. The live trap is working so far and when that stops working I'll just remove the hives from that yard. It is just a trial yard now anyway.

10. alleyyooper

Smart critter turned the live trap on it's side two nights in a row and got the bait since it wouldn't hit the doors trigger. Sat it between a couple of close saplings yesterday. Had a young coon in it today. So young it only went about 6 feet and stopped when I let it out.
    I don't think it was the smart one either.

11. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Glad to hear that you caught some coons. I don't think that the young one was the smart one either, as a matter of fact I think it is very retarded. Good luck, and happy coon catching. Bye.

12. alleyyooper

I don't know about it being retarded, could you resist a bisket with honey on it?

:flame: I do know I am getting tired of that yard. I may just pull the hives from there. The drive to check the trap every day is 14 miles one way. Add in the extra 5 miles to release the coons on state land, the biskets and honey and I'm finding cranky bees to work too. Now if the property owner wanted to take some of the responceabilty or ridding the area of the coons, moving the coons to another area, or just popping a cap on them I would be more inclined to stay there.

13. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

Why are you releasing the coons? Are you trying to save their lives? The problem is that you are probably sentencing them to a rather nasty death. They will be beat up on and staved out of the territory of the big ol coon whose territory you are dumping them in. It would be best to go ahead and dispatch them when you catch them. Just a suggestion. I hope things get better with your problem.

14. dcross

You aren't going to rid the area of coons, there will always be one more.

15. alleyyooper

Of the 4 out yards and ours at home along a creek we are not having problems with coons or any critter for that matter, in only the one. In our own yard I'm as well as my Visla aggressive in ridding them from doing other than pass thru. The land owner on another yard is like me, aggressive in keeping the numbers down. The third one has a couple of big dogs that run loose and keep them at bay. Only in the yard where the owner does not try to control, nor kill any animals do I have a problem.
    Coons and possims in this area carry rabies, are not hunted since the pelt prices have dropped. many areas are over populated.

I just aquired permission to place bees in two new areas. I think the days are limited they will stay at the critter infested yard.