Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I was feeding the horses and goats this evening, one of the horses threw her head up and began running in a circle nickering, with her ears and eyes focused on something in the trees outside the fence line. My Blue Heeler who was following me around while I fed, suddenly ran toward the fence line barking her head off. I walked over and looked but never saw anything. I was carrying a pistol, but the hair stood up on the back of my neck and something told me not to walk into the trees.

I don't have any idea what they saw, but I think I will start carrying a rifle on the tractor.

· Registered
585 Posts
Luckily the only things in our woods are fox, armadillos, rattlesnakes, coyotes, deer, racoons, possums, black bear.
We are too high and dry for gators.

· Sock puppet reinstated
28,971 Posts
We have cougars crossing the property all the time. The only time we had a problem was when one had a leg hold trap that attacked our dogs.

· Premium Member
13,597 Posts
We have cougars crossing the property all the time. The only time we had a problem was when one had a leg hold trap that attacked our dogs.
Did it have the trap on it's foot? Your game and fish should have been able to live trap it and remove the trap.

· Sock puppet reinstated
28,971 Posts
Did it have the trap on it's foot? Your game and fish should have been able to live trap it and remove the trap.
Yes, it had a trap on its foot. It was starving. The Game and Fish was called as was my friend a local guide and his dogs. It was shot in the end because it was too far gone. My husband actually wrestled my dog away from it. Not something he could have survived if it was a healthy cat. It would not have made it if the trap was removed because of its condition and it being winter.

· Premium Member
13,597 Posts
That's too bad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts