Critter Identification

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Jun 24, 2005.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I found this chubby little guy in one of my plants today. I'm trying to ID all the frogs and toads here, but haven't been able to figure him out. Anyone know?

[​IMG]

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I have no idea what kind of toad that is but he sure is cute! :)
    I have this fascination with toads, skinks, lizards and frogs! :haha:

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

OMG, KYG, I H E A R T my frogs and toads, almost as much as my ... skinks!

Speaking of which ... here's an adult skink napping in one of my raised beds. :haha: You have to look quick --- this was the first time I'd ever caught one not running around like a maniac, and he totally FREAKED when he realized I was there snapping pics of him. :haha: Look closely, and you can see a widdle weg! It's sooo cute!
    [​IMG]

4. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I saw it, I saw it!!! :haha:

Do you happen to have any blue belly skinks at your place?
    We had them when we lived in CA and I think that's when my fascination started. They actually got quite tame(for a skink ;) ) and they'd stay put when I was working in the yard.

I had some unusual lizards in KY-one was a light cinnamon color-fairly large 6-7 body plus tail" and would hang from the vinyl siding on the south side of the house. I could mow lawn back & forth right in front of him and he'd stay completely still just hanging out sunning himself! :D

Isn't it amazing what some of us find cute & interesting??? :cool:

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

These fellows here are a luminescent blue when they're babies, but turn brownish when they're adults.

The exciting thing for me is I used to only see baby skinks, but now I have adults everywhere, as well. Which makes me think I can look forward to years of skinks, as long as I can keep the cat from across the way out of here. :grump:

I don't have big lizards, but I have tiny prehistoric monster lizards. Maybe 2 inches long? Very ferocious! :D

6. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

Looks like the Green Toad (Bufo debilis), but frog and toad coloration is notoriously variable, so it is hard to be sure. It is the closest match I can think of.

Bill

7. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

It's a Green Tree frog as we have one in a Terrarium Right now my wife found at work one night the first time it made it's sound scared the sh** out of me . Ours eats all kinds of bugs and flies. As I raise mill worms and catch crane flies,mayflies and caddis flies to feed it. It would be worth keeping it in your garden. If you don't want it there take in put in in a tree close by. If you listen at night they are one of the ones making the sort of high pitch noises out in the trees but it's not the spring peeper. It makes more of and owl sound to me. I can't post pic's for some reason or I'd put the pic of mine up to show you they are the same.
    [​IMG]

8. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

*lightbulb*

Thanks, pygmy! I have grey treefrogs all over the place here, so should have known that.

stonefly, I wouldn't ever move him. He's happy and besides, he's eating all the critters in the garden. :)

BTW, stonefly, I have peepers and green treefrogs here, as well. One way you can tell the greys from the greens is that the grey treefrogs at first glance tend to look like some horrible growth :haha: while the greens are just kind of pretty. The first time I ever saw one, I thought the deck I'd just built had gotten some horrible kind of black mold. Then I pushed on the black mold and POOF up jumps a treefrog. :haha: