Critter ID Help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cabin Fever, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Some kind of animal is removing (eating?) the bark off of some of the white oak branches on our 40 acres. Generally, the limbs are about 2 inches in diameter and the debarked area on the branch is about 2 feet long. It's only happening on white oaks and on only one branch per tree. The affected branches are anywheres from 8 to 20 feet off of the ground, so it's not a rabbit. Could it be a porkypine? I thought porkypines only ate pine bark?

2. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

It could be a porky...they might be after the salt in the tree bark. Porkys eat most anything! I have seen times where they ate through radiator hoses (antifreeze is sweet)...some have chewed on the tires of vehicles that had been driven on icey roads that had been salted to melt the ice. I know of one time where a porky came onto the porch and knawed on some new boots...never left any more boots on the porch after that happened. :grit:

They love to eat saltine crackers for the salt too. :eek:

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Yep Porkypine. They also love the new buds on yellow maples trees in the springtime! :viking:
    They really hate it if you spray them with the hose, we did that once when he was at the bird feeder and he didn't come back! Our yard was the porkypine hwy for the longest time.

4. Cabin Fever

Here's a photo taken this morning:

[​IMG]

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Cabin, I noticed that branch is on a level with your head. Do you ever sleep-walk and dream of chewing on a drumstick???

6. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess it's porcipine as well. The telltale signs here are random fine wood chips all over the affected area, then you look up into a tree and see about a 2 foot. section de-barked. I'm wondering about the small branches you're pointing to in the pic., though. That could be deer or moose.

7. dixiedoodle

dixiedoodle Well-Known Member

Could be a beaver with wings???Do ya guess!!!!!!!!!

8. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

My first thought was deer (are you sure it's 20 feet up----if a bit lower, it could be from deer standing on their hind legs). Those branches you're pointing at are at eye level. The smaller branches tend to have softer bark and maybe it's just a tasty breed of tree.

Or like everyone else says, it could be a porcupine. Those suckers really can strip a lot of bark in short periods of time. There was this porcupine in one of our city parks, it killed a large (maybe 60 ft?) tree by bark stripping before they caught it. I don't know what it was about that one maple tree, it left the others alone, but there was very little bark on it when they cut it down.

DD

9. Cabin Fever

The photo does not give a good perspective as I am standing several feet away from the tree. The branch I'm pointing to is at least 8, probably 10 feet off the ground....so it's not caused by deer. Most of the other affected trees have damaged limbs much higher than the one I'm pointing to. One didn't lead me to believe that it was porcupine damage was the small diameter of the damaged limbs....about 2 inches. Didn't think a porkypine could climb out on a 2-inch limb!

So, since I have today off, I think I'll do a little porcupine hunting.

10. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've seen squirrels stripping bark before. Usually in long strips off the top of the limb though. Maybe a bit off the sides. Didn't quite look like that. I had an aspen and a maple in the yard they liked to chew on but one year in particular they simply tore it up for some reason. Musta been inordinately hungry or had a hankerin' for tree bark.

11. wiggles12

wiggles12 Active Member

Any quills, dung or other tell tale signs at the scene of the crime?

12. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I've seen red squirrels stripping bark off small limbs like that. Possibly using it for nesting material.

13. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Be sure to skin them out, they are delecious.