Critter 6 Vicker 0

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vicker, Jun 3, 2006.

1. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

:grit: We had 9 chickens (7 hens & 2 roosters) that refused to go in at night, and have been roosting in a tree about 15 yards from our bedroom window. For the last couple weeks someting has been coming, every few nights, and getting a chicken. Generally it works like this, we are sleeping soundly when we are awakend by squawking chickens, I get up, let the dog out, grab the .22 and the spot light and find nothing. The next day we are missing a chicken and have a trail of feathers heading down to the creek. The dog ( a beagle) usually runs down that way but never strikes a trail. I have REALLY been wanting to get this thing. It's only getting hens, and these were nice young hens WE were going to eat. What ever it is can get a chicken out of a tree and run with it, and it aint the neighbor. He has an alibi.
    Well,.....Last night we were awakened as usual and I quietly got the dog, .22 and spot light. Again nothing, but all the chickens were accounted for (but out of the tree). We went back to sleep. About an hour later we heard a chicken dying in front of the house. I again (quietly) got up, but this time I left the dog and grabbed the rifle and light. I shucked a shell into the bolt action, went out on the front porch and swept the yard with the spot light, and THERE IT WAS! Running thru the pasture towards the woods. It looked like a ground hog from the rear, but must have been a big coon. I aquired my target (all the while following it with the large bulky spot light), and tracked it with the rifle. It was dodging under the tractor when I fired and..... I heard ther unmistakable sound of lead hitting a tractor tire :bash: Now my wife is standing there, I'm buck naked on the porch, holding a smoking rifle and a spot light, and she is saying, "I can't believe you just shot your tractor tire". :D Not my best moment
    I checked the tire, found no damage and thought maybe I had hit it in the tread, but when I left for work (5am) it was flat :( The big one in the back, and they're loaded :( :( Now I have to remove a tire, buy a tube and $35 dollars worth of calcium chloride and reload the tire.
    Oh well, at least it's cloudy out and not too hot. And I am staying up late tonight. Maybe I'll make a stand on the roof :hobbyhors :D
    The score is
    critter 5 hens and 1 tractor tire / Vicker 0
    :cowboy:

2. ninny

ninny Well-Known Member

If this looks as funny as you made it sound, you ought to have your wife get a video camera and get this on film. Send it in to Am. Funniest Videos and you could probably win enough to buy a whole flock of chickens and a new tractor. Hey, I've been in nearly the same situation so I know where you're coming from. :p

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

::bare, wiping tears of mirth from his eyes::

Just what does lead smacking into a tractor tire sound like? Sounds as if your wife knew it immediately.

4. ninny

ninny Well-Known Member

It has the very distinct sound of money leaving your wallet. Very depressing. :Bawling:

5. HalfpintHomestd

HalfpintHomestd Well-Known Member

Until you saw the coon it was sounding like the beagle and the chickens were planning a major jail break.

6. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry about your tractor tire but I know how you feel!! When I was pg. with my second child, dh was working away from home (gone three days/ home one). I was so proud of my first real garden and it was a beauty. It was in July and everything was producing and I had kept all the weeds out.. One morning just after breakfast, I hear an awful noise. I went to the door to find a herd of hogs with about 20 piggies rooting in my garden! I scream and waved and even beat a pot w/ metal spoon but nothing...Being 8 months pg I didn't think I should go out and run them away. So I went to get dh gun, loaded it, went to the back door. threw open tje screen door, threw the gun up in the air and fired two shots!!! Down drops the electric line! :shrug: I had actually shot all the way thru the over hang on the house and hit the line!.Then I had to call the electric company. I didn't want to tell them what had happened ( I was afraid they would make me pay for it) and didn't think they would beleive me!

7. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Kind of a "thud" with a "ping" in it. Definately different than the sound it makes hitting the rear end of a coon :)
    I got the tire half off and came in for a break. Sun's out. The rim is about rotted out. Especialy around the valve stem. It's been patched there before and the patch rotted out. I was hoping to maybe be able to just take it half off, but I need to take the tire off and clean the rim up. See if I can repatch it and paint the inside. I may be in for a new rim too. :dance:
    Life is good :) Think of the alternative. :angel:
    Might as well do a search on tractor rims while I'm online.

8. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

LOL Hey, do you suppose we are kin? :shrug:

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i tried to take a picture of the @20 .22 caliber holes through my back porch screen but they don't show much. i have no livestock but guard my garden from groundhogs. they are so aware, it is sometimes hard to get a shot by sneaking up on them so i just open the back door and shoot through the screen. it is a constant battle. i normally get 7-9 per year. last year i killed 13. i have one non-confirmed kill this year and more to come i am sure.

oh what fun the city folk miss, lol.

10. bare

bare Head Muderator

That's two belly laughs I got out of this thread so far! What are the chances?

I guess I have to confess about a small hole in my aluminum canoe though.

One of the funniest acts of karma I've seen though... some idiot saw a coyote out in the field next to my cattle and decided to help me out by dispatching it. Took out his new scoped rifle, rested it on the cab of his truck and let loose. Shot a big ol' trench hole in the cab of his fancy truck!

I could hear the cussing from a half mile away. Went to investigate and chew him a new one and to my surprise, it wasn't the owner of the truck doing the cussin', it was his passenger who had been sitting under the newly made sun roof.

11. bare

bare Head Muderator

Just remembered another one. Early in my marriage, I worked away from the place for a couple weeks at a time. Though the wife was farm raised, I think she had more urban tendencies than rural and to top it off she was a pacifist and regularly chewed me out for my gun collection.

She was all upset that we had a packrat living in the attic of the cabin that would make occasional forays down to our living area. I tried all manner of traps and poison bait without success and never saw it on my short visits home.

Got home once to find two of my youngsters running down the drive yelling, "Mommy shot the packrat!" I was a little skeptical at first but the evidence was still there when I got in the cabin. Dead bloody packrat hanging off the top of my bookshelf. She woke up to the packrat in bed with her, grabbed the loaded 10/22 from above the door and pointed it in the direction of the rat. Emptied a 25 round clip into all my books but she got her rat...and was proud of it!

I'm still occasionally reminded of it when I pull out an old book and try to read between the bullet holes.

12. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Ohhh, this is priceless! Thank you - I needed a laff.

13. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

You guys are killing me. Bare I think I'd hide the gun from your wife.

I had a friend who was trigger happy too. she had a big rat jump out from her
    bean bin. She shot the kitchen up trying to get the rat.

Finally decided he was after her so jumped on the table.

Managed to take a knife and the broom with her. Reached the drawer with the duck tape and taped the knife to the broom. Decided she's stab this rat so she could get down from the table.

Stabbed him a little off center. Stuck him knife and all pretty deep in the kicthen floor.

So of coarse he's hollering . It was about this time she left a message for me crying that she had a rat stabbed but he was trying to get loose and get her.

I had just came in from work and thought I had to see this stabbed rat since she was only about a mile from me I jumped in the car and headed over.

Got there to find her and her two kids all on the kitchen table. Been there for about a hour she said. Rat still moaning on floor. Not going anywhere though.

I had to club him to put him down and she was right he still had some fight left in him.

But the stuff she shot. Two cabinet doors took bullets. She emptied the rest of the rounds into the kitchen floor. LOL

Her hubby and I decided the gun needed to stay hid, when he was at work after that.

14. bare

bare Head Muderator

One of the funniest threads I've read in a long time! That duct tape sure is handy stuff and the gal sounded pretty resourceful, even if she could't aim.

After the wife's incident with the packrat and the books, I taught her how to aim. She wasn't a pacifist any longer and is still proud of her kill.

She's from Indiana and was a lifelong member of a pacifist church, telling me that her family were never around firearms. When we finally made the trek to visit her family and introduce kids to grandparents, we walked into the house through the mud room and in plain sight was a collection of guns that was at least as big as mine. Of course I had to bring it up at dinner and her dad asked her how she figgured he caught all those rabbits and deer she'd eaten while growing up? Amazing the denial a person can develop.

Years ago, I had a neighbor that worked up in Alaska during the fishing season. He married and had a child between seasons and was worried about leaving his new wife and baby, asking me to stop in and check on her from time to time.

Week or so later I walked in to their place and knocked on the door. No answer, I knocked again and hollered. BAM, BAM! By the time I heard the second BAM, I was half way down the trail. I didn't bother checking on her after that, figgured she could take care of herself!

15. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

My story had a different ending. :)

[​IMG]

16. 3dogmom

3dogmom Well-Known Member

Vicker, sorry about the chickens but thanks for making me laugh. :bouncy: Might want to move the tractor abit for the next round :)

Queen Bee, Bare, and WVPeach I loved your stories too. I love it when I can sit at my puter and laugh out loud. :baby04:

Redneck; Goooood Dog!! :clap:

17. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Loved the stories! Anyone got anymore? We've only had confrontations with human invaders so far. Except the summer of the mouse invasion. But even the extermintor had them in his house that year.

18. RACCOON

RACCOON Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!
    I was just taking a walk after a chicken dinner and some !@$^%#@! shot at me!!!
    Whats this world coming to??????????????????

19. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

:( I'm really sorry about the loss of your chickens...

You are quite a good story teller though...I loved reading your post. :)

20. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Great thread! LOL