Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sold ALL my Boers but this one doeling. She's a bottle-baby, weaned last month. I sold her dam and 2 siblings when she was born, kept this one. Her sire was sold too, a FB Boer. Dam was a percentage Boer.

"Lucy" was born March 3rd, was 4 1/2 months old in this pic.

I need to find a buck to breed her to, all I have is a LaMancha. Am looking around locally, but don't want any ol' buck.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks....I seldom leave the farm so am tremendously "barn blind". I see my own goats week after week, month after month. It is so easy to not see things in your own stock that are glaringly obvious to someone who sees them for the first time. And now with this one doeling to breed, I need to find the right buck, I have no intentions on buying a buck for one doeling. It's like a dating service....she is from a tested herd and most meat herds don't test. So if I don't find her a beau, she may end up with funny earless red-headed kids!...which aint so bad.

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
diane she looks very nice. have you thought about having her AIed? that way you know you don't get any diseases :) she looks very much worth the effort.
well, and than like you said, those laboers aren;'t too bad. or would that be a Boemanch or Boela? :rolleyes:
you mightl loose the milk if you go this way, but might get more meat?

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks suzanne, I appreciate that. I guess I am trying to find out just how much effort this doeling is worth, LOL! It has taken a tremendous effort to raise her, bottle-baby Boers are sharks! Lots and lots of milk! So I would love to have some "good" kids from her if I breed her to Boer. I would rather just make some more "LaBoers" rather than mediocre Boers and I have a real nice LaMancha buck and I have never crossed LM buck to Boer doe, but rather the other way around. The LM buck I have would sure put some pizzaz in that first cross and bring up udder attachment, all that good dairy stuff in the first genration, then i could cross the LaBoers back to Boer....

Or, I could find a nice Boer buck...I have thought about AI, but it seems hard to put into action right now. The bucks I like on the internet are sure high dollar! Jack Mauldin Boers are real close to me geographically and I spend too much time looking at those, LOL!

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,844 Posts
i would find a LONG buck for her, she is nice and solid but a little short in the length of her back, you want LONG WIDE goats with a deep chest, she is deep and wide but not so much long,

could you post a pick of her face on and from the back?

if you have access to any Long EGGS bucks, even for AI i would go that rout,

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, well, about 5 hours away, but I would make the drive if I could afford those genetics...even if "Lucy" had to ride in the cab of the pickup.

...and susanne, I don't know what you are talking about....no really :shrug:

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
don't be such an :angel:
if i looked at the same website a couple of times that always had consequences :)
but honest diane, i think, jack has some very nice genetics, and if you can effort it, go for it. ;)

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
susanne said:
don't be such an :angel:
if i looked at the same website a couple of times that always had consequences :)
but honest diane, i think, jack has some very nice genetics, and if you can effort it, go for it. ;)

It's the $$$ part that gets in the way :) This doeling's sire was Suma, Mojo Majic, DER Walt bloodlines. I sold him cheap to a forum member here on HT because I did not yet have a camera and I live so remote that no one would come look at him and take a chance. I guess they were afraid he was a weed-eatin' billy tied to a post. He threw nice kids....we ate some of them :Bawling: sold some as breeding stock and kept the lone red-headed stranger here.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Aww I think she is very pretty... I had a lamach crossed with a boer b4 and she was so sweet and red head with 1/4 ears!!

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This little "LaBoer" first freshener has the same sire as the Boer doeling in the first pic. This little doe was sold too.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Critterlover, they are unbelievably close! As you well know! I just sent them an email requesting some additional info. Who knows. Thanks alot :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think she is gorgeous. I do agree with her being a bit short from front to back. It also looks like, judging by how far apart her stance is, she might be a bit narrow chested (the space between her legs in front). It is difficult to tell from this view however. I love how stocky she is. Her coloring is really pretty too. I'd hate to waste a breeding by stepping towards dairy...nothing against dairy, I just think she has more to offer the meat industry. For her, a Lamancha buck would be a step down. If you can afford a live breeding with someone with bloodlines, like Jack Mauldin, I'd go for it. Purchasing a buck for one doe might be a waste. A nice, long and wide fullblood Boer is what I'd look for!! Good luck. She a nice one!!

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CritterLover said:
Do you know anything about these people? I don't, but they are certainly closer to you...

http://www.felixfarm.com/
Critterlover, I emailed felixfarm and got a response back within one day. The owner is selling the whole business and is no longer offering breeding services. What a shame, this place is a stones throw, it would have been interesting just to see what the mad scientist was up to if nothing else!...Diane

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Milk N' Honey, I appreciate the critique, I do know what the term "narrow-chested" means...I do have a little sense in my head :) Also, I think I mentioned that I do not have the $$$ for a jack mauldin breeding to this doe, that I just like the big ol' bucks on the site.

http://www.jackmauldin.com/breeding_-_semen_services.htm

They would smush my little doeling anyway :help: and i do not have the means for AI at this time. We eat many of our Boer kids so breeding to LaMancha may not be a step down, just earless kids for the freezer and that would not be anything new. I did mention that i was a bit barn blind and don't get much of a chance to compare my goats to others so just needed help seeing glaring faults that i was missing. Sometimes we can't see things that are slapping us right in the face.

If I was going to keep doelings from a breeding I WOULD want to breed her to a nice Boer buck though....hoping to find one close. However, I actually have REQUESTS for LaBoers :) So I don't consider it a step down to breed her to my well bred LaMancha buck. So Milk N' Honey, not trying to sound overly defensive here, but maybe you came on strong enough to put me that way....and if I am not mistaken, you are new to goats.

I would like to get this doeling bred real early in the season too. Don't want summer babies. I have had no problem in the past breeding Boer doelings right at 70 pounds and they kid fine, besides, I know due dates.

Oh, and I don't milk outside, forum members, that pic was just a LaBoer on a stand outside as I was trimming hooves and taking her pic, milking out colostrum etc. I have a milkroom with a cement floor, electricity....and a roof :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
The reason I explained narrow is because someone on another thread confused what I meant so I thought I should be clear. It had nothing to do with what you know or don't know. I'm not sure why you took that personal? Also, sorry about the misunderstanding, I thought you couldn't afford a buck from him but didn't know about the breeding....I thought that would be cheaper and I didn't read where you had stated you couldn't afford a breeding service. My mistake. I've had goats now for about 2 1/2 yrs. I am still learning and assume that I will never quit learning. How about you? Do we ever stop learning? I'm sorry that I posted. You didn't specify who was allowed to critique her. I guess I should wait another couple of years? If you are not new to goats, you probably don't need anyone to critique your doe anyway. Sorry to offend you.

·
Registered
641 Posts
BTW, I went back and read my post, I'm sort of stumped. I thought I was very nice and complimentary of your doe and offered good advice. Still confused....

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Milk N' Honey, I absolutely meant for ANYBODY to post on this thread, certainly you by all means, you are a regular here and I appreciate that. But I couldn't help but pick up a tone of being talked down to by you. I have noted that tone on other posts and if it is just an internet glitch caused by people not being able to truely understand each other's tones of voice, than I am sorry. Truce?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts