Crippled Lamb and Wethered Goat

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by canine14, Jul 19, 2006.

1. canine14

canine14 Well-Known Member

I just got a crippled Suffolk X lamb. He was kicked by an ewe and his right front leg was broken near the shoulder. As per the lamb's (previous) owner, I have him in a pen with a wethered Nubian that I rescued from a starvation situation so that they can bond into a "herd." The meeting went so so. The lamb is 30 lbs and polled and the goat is 100 lbs and horned. There was one head butt but otherwise they kept their distance. Should I be worried? Usually the goat is quite gentle around kids and other animals. They will both be out on pasture tomorrow but they need to be bunk-mates for now.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I would say the now healthy and robust goat will be more trouble for the crippled lamb than he can stand. Asking for trouble IMO

3. canine14

canine14 Well-Known Member

Now I am sick with worry. I don't have another pen for the little guy until tomorrow. Do you think anything will happen overnight?

Please help.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I don't have a vast background with goats but mine never got along with the sheep, period. A so so start would be what I was expecting. Wish I had a more accomdating answer but to be honest I think the lamb will get pushed around as a minimum. If the pen is big enough hopefully they'll keep their distance from each other. You couldn't make a small pen in a corner with 2 extra gates?

5. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

or even run a few boards across the corner of the pen to make a creep area for the smaller animal-----