creole red garlic bulbils

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suburbanite, Sep 4, 2006.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I have some very small bulbils that I don't think fully matured from a creole red garlic I grew this year. Any suggestions about how to proceed to maybe get garlic from them next year? Should I plant them now since our ground never freezes? Refrigerate them until...january or something?

What should I do?

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

There are two sizes of garlic bulbils, large and small, and there seems to be no in-between size. There are some varieties which one would think are identical for bulb and clove size, taste, leaves, etc. but have entirely different bulbils.

The large bulbils are pea size to small marble size. Those will normally produce a divided bulb in one season if planted back but will be smaller than if planted from a large clove.

Small bulbils often aren't much bigger than a grain of wheat. Those will not produce a divided bulb but becomes a round not much bigger than a dime or nickel. That round may then be planted back to produce a normal divided bulb the following year. You'd be planting now for eventual 2008 harvest.

For storage, just keep them dry until normal planting time for your area. If they are the small type, they would be best planted in large planter with rich potting soil. No more than a half-inch deep and two-inch spacing. If they are the large type, plant an inch deep and 6 inches apart.

Martin

3. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Suburbanite;This is the place that I get my Creole garlic from
    www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com and if you can't find what your'e looking for give Bob a call.-

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    These bulbils are from the flower head of the garlic I grew this past year.