creep feeders & hay feeders

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Patty0315, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have home made plans they would like to share ? How about hay feeders?

Thanks , Patty

2. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Our creep feeding fence is made from a section of hog panel that has 8 inch mesh. "Doors" that are 8 inches wide and 16 inches high are cut in it andit is attached at both ends across a corner. Lambs get in - ewes stay out. Simple, durable and cheap.

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture ?

Thanks , Patty

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Patty, a friend of mine introduced me to pallets as hay feeders. Good golly, they're wonderful! Have the pallet standing on end, and shove the hay down inside between the slats. Works great!

My friend is very ingenious when it comes to pallets...she even has small, three sided lean to's with a roof for her baby goats made of pallets. And she got some giant commercial pallets a few years ago and build a barn big enough to make three stalls for her goats, lol! She is my hero... :p

5. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Hey Kesoaps, I just put up one of your pallet feeders in the sheep pen! The sheep are in their small enclosure as the perimiter fencing isn't all done yet ... they can go out to graze when I'm there to watch, but otherwise they stay in the small area which is rapidly getting eaten down!

Today I went out and mowed some of the nice long grass with my scythe, attached a pallet to the fence line, and stuffed it full of mown grass.

Guess we'll see if they figure it out, but it certainly was easy enough. I am a bit worried that it is packed in there too tight ... guess I'll find out when they start munching on it. :D