credit report???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Does anyone know where I can get a truly FREE credit report with no strings attached, no membership and no credit card needed? Thanks for any info.

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

If you call Equifax, Experian, or the other one (can't remember the name) and proceed on the phone menu like you're filing an identity theft report (which only results in heightened security measures should you request credit later on--not a bad thing), you will receive a free credit report from all three agencies.

3. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

If you ever get turned down for credit you can get a free copy of your report. And if you find anything reported wrong the ones who reported have to fix it without charging you.

4. The three agencies are:

Equifax 1-800-685-1111
    Experian 1-888-397-3742
    Transunion 1-800-888-4213

The three agencies do not share information with one another, so each can have totally different info about you. This means you need to get all three.

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

You will get all three if you file an identity theft report with one, so they do share some information.

6. Annie in S.E. Ohio

Annie in S.E. Ohio Active Member

If you can stand spending a few minutes with a car dealer, you can get your numerical credit rating by being interested in purchasing a vehicle from said dealer, no money is required to change hands, they will run a credit report to see what interest you can qualify for, good credit makes a ton of difference in your available finance rates!

Anything above an 8 is considered an excellent credit rating, at 8.8 we got 2.9% for 5 years and the 3500.00 rebate, way better than the 0% offered but without the rebate.

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

a friend of mine did that... anytime your turned down for a card, you can fill out an online form at transunion or exifax, request a copy, and cite the company that refused you credit.
    She got hers, she had red marks on there from utility companies long since paid off, one who she didnt even use, and it said she had a sears card delinquent. the balance owed was... $0. IT WAS COUNTED AS A BAD! she didnt even HAVE a sears card.
    After she made 100 phone calls and filed the correction paperwork they give ya, her credit rating went way up.
    Every thing held against her was either paid, not hers or never was delinqient (misreported).
    its all free, dont fall for the "pay me" scam.

8. Thanks again! I'm really not interested in my rating, just need to know what's on there - I have reason to believe that someone is using my name and ss# to open accounts. Thanks so much for the info and phone numbers.

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I never financed with a car dealership--but that was interesting information. Thanks for posting it Annie.