Credit Card Fraud....scam

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pioneergal, Jan 16, 2007.

1. pioneergal

pioneergal Member

I was paying my CC bill today and noticed a charge of $885.00 pending that was unauthorized by me or DH.
    Needless to say I was shocked when I saw this charge.
    I made a quick call to the CC company and the Rep. who did not speak understandable English said that there was nothing she could do to help....too late. :flame:
    As calmly as I could I requested to speak with someone that could speak English.
    The next Rep. did help to resolve the situation AND gave me the date of the charge and name of the online clothing company where the charge had been made.
    I don't use my card often but we did use it at the motel where we stayed during the holidays. Other than that I have NO idea where someone could have gained access to my account number.

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them?

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Not that but my ID was stolen by my estranged spouse and I cannot have him prosecuted because I'm his property because I once stupidly uttered 2 words, 2 syllables and 3 letters. Let my experience be a warning to anyone separating to place a fraud alert on your credit files; you have to renew every 90 days without a conviction or arrest so it's a pain but be vigilant. (Some states have a freeze program; avail yourself of it.) Your "beloved" knows your mother's maiden name, your address, your SS# and everything about you until "death you do part". Yes, it's a crime except it's not; beating your spouse was once acceptable also...rule of thumb, ya know.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

1. When in a restaurant or elsewhere NEVER let your card out of your sight. You do not have to give it to the help person at the table when they bring the ticket. You can carry the bill to the register.

Back when the receipt was put on a machine, your card put on it and then a roller impressed the information from the card onto the receipt, it was once a fairly common practice for some establishments to make several receipts. They might double bill at once or wait a month and then submit a second bill. If it was noticed at all, it was oops, it was a mistaken billing.

2. If your card has your authorization number on it somewhere, record it elsewhere and then scratch it off. When it is on there a thief not only has your card number, but that authorization number.

3. Back when I lived near Dayton, OH there were a rash of theft of purses from the ladies restrooms in malls. A woman would put her purse down on the floor. The thief would merely scatch it from under the stall and be halfway out of the mall before the woman had her panties back up.

4. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Dealing with something like that now. DS is in army bootcamp. Was home for christmas exodus and spent alot of money. However, has about 500 bux he cannot account for. His bank statement came today, showing transactions in 2 different states at the same time on the same day, when he happened to be in my home and nowhere near either one of those places. Got him mailing me his receipts so I can go to the bank and clear it up. Those cameras on the atm don't ALWAYS belong to the bank, it seems.

5. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, that happened to me too. Paid for a rental car with a CC and later the CC company called me about some charges made to my account. Seems the computer at the CC company alerts the company if out of the ordinary charges are made. In my case it was auto parts which are apparently a red flag as thieves buy them to resell. Must have been someone at the rental car place as that was the only time I had used the card. They just gave me a new card and number. Another time, I was flying out of Vancouver B.C. airport. As we went through to the departure lounge we had to pay an airport fee. Since they would only take either CC or Canadian money I paid by card. Later the CC company informed me that the clerk at the desk had been selling the cc numbers to crooks. They weren't sure if mine had been sold but since I went through there I got another card and number. Both times I knew nothing about it since itwas discovered before I got the bill.

6. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Ninn, did he order something online? That could explain two charges at the same time in two different places.

/VM

7. pioneergal

pioneergal Member

The CC Company did the same for me.....issued a new card and number.

I also believe that the motel scammed me when I gave them my card for the motel charges..... just wish there was some way to prove it!

Circumstances like this makes me leary of even using my card.
    I've always tried to keep close tabs on my charges on the account but from now on I will keep an eagle eye on the account.

8. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Yep. I had to make a business trip to Toronto a couple of years ago. I used my credit card to hold the room and nothing else. Everything was actually paid for with a cash advance from the company.

About a month after I got back from my trip, CIBC(Bank the card is through) called and asked if I ordered $8000.00 worth of furniture. Told them no and they said no problem...here is when your new card will arrive with a new number. All charges to this card have been frozen and the furniture company in Toronto was denied authorization.

They said they couldn't trace the thieves because it was all either online or over the phone but they were quick on the ball when it came to noticing something odd.

9. PcH8er

PcH8er Well-Known Member

Don't know if they made their way over here or not.

One of the more sophisticated scams.

1 - ATM machine as usual?
    [​IMG]

2 - Is there an additional slot?
    [​IMG]

3 - A monitor and pamphlet holder at the side...nothing wrong
    [​IMG]

4 - Wait ..... Is it really a pamphlet holder
    [​IMG]

5 - False pamphlet box affixed to the ATM cubicle side
    [​IMG]

6 - Inside the "pamphlet box"
    [​IMG]

Kind of scary the stuff these guys can come up with.

10. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

we almost use one exlusively, but have another for places that dont take the first so it hardly ever gets used... well we happened to use it and the company called asking if i had been getting the bills, well i hadnt because someone called in and changed the mailing address(not supposed to be able to do that without being at home phone!!!!) and they had charged up stuff from another state and paid it off and charged again hoping to raise credit level

company insisted i file a police report, gave me the number that the change happened from, which i gave to the police, who then called the phone company that told him that number hasnt been in service in over a year!!!!

so the company either lied or it was an inside job( company is based in the same state that the charges happened in.)

11. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I had heard about the fake strip reader, but the camera thingee freaks me out...never would've thought of that one...
    That's why I'm a poor honest person, I guess...

12. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

That's fine and dandy, but unless you see the receipt actually closed out then your credit card number is still in the machine. Oh, you did see it closed out? Yeah, it is possible to reopen closed checks on most restaurant computers.

Also, most restaurants don't have a real "register" nowadays. Your server has a PIN on the computer or a swipe card. All of the tables they wait on are recorded under their card or number. At the end of the night they turn in all the money owed from all of their tables. The bars might have a register, but otherwise you don't have a register to carry that ticket to. Unless of course you want to stand in the service well and be in the way of people carrying trays of food or drinks, you're usually better off remaining in your seat.

I had a coworker accused of stealing a credit card number because he had to tell someone their card was declined. Lots of people are very suspicious but this is something that doesn't happen as often at restaurants as people think. It's never a bad idea to be cautious though.

Kayleigh

13. Marsh

Marsh Well-Known Member

I once ordered a cookbook online. About 2 weeks later I get a call from CC company. Asking if I had a cellphone with XXX company. Seems they used my card to pay there cell bill and they also ordered some adult materails online. *sigh* Had the CC not called me I would not have known till my statement came in. I was not held responsible for the charges and new cards and numbers were issued.
    Never enter you 3 digit security code for anything. Seems the company that processed the order must have gotten the number from my transaction.
    I learned the hard way but the CC was awsome about not holding me responsible for it.

Marsh

14. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    Had something like that happen to me several years ago. I got to looking at my statement and found close to $400 in charges for 2 online sex sites. When I called these places they tried to say that I had ordered their services. I asked them why on earth would I pay them when I could look at the same thing in the mirror for free? Then they tried to say that it was my kid that did it(no way, she's handicapped) then it was my husband(no he was on the road). I had never ordered anything on line and have no idea how they ever got my cc# but I did get the charges removed and have been leery of using the cc since and never use them on line.