Creative ways to get rid of large turkeys

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I have a few turkeys that are over 30 pounds. 25 is about the max weight when it comes to selling them. I already donated the two largest to a children's home, but am trying to think of creative things to do with the others.

The local churches that cook a large dinner haven't returned my calls, though there are more I could call in other towns.

I don't mind being charitable, but it would be good if I got some free publicity out of it. I thought of giving them away in a drawing...give everyone that makes a purchase an entry, but then I don't know if a 32 pound turkey is actually a prize worth receiving :)

There's a benefit auction for someone with cancer, I think I'll give them one to auction off.

Any other ideas?

Jena

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jena, in the past I've had similar situations and I happened upon a solution that works for me. I do still have kids in school so that might make it a bit easier and one of them gives me cause to be on regular speaking terms with the principal anyhow :rolleyes: I ask the principal to find a 'working poor' family and he's the guy that gets to make the call so that nobody is embarrassed or put on the spot. If the family accepts, he arranges the pickup and it can be anon if they prefer. I would assume you could do the same through the churches.

3. blanknoone

blanknoone Member

You could butcher them. It would prevent you from selling them, but a boneless breast or some legs would be much more manageable to the recipient. I know...they ought to be willing to do it, but many just aren't.

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Why don't you have them ground and sell them in 2# packages?

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

How about ground turkey? Do you sell that?
    I don't know about donating it. Just a thought.

6. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Jena
    I have a local farmer that raised turkeys for years and he always had some that would go around the gates on butcher day :) They would be huge by the time the house was empty! He had one walkin freezer that all the #30 plus birds went in . He had a guy from Terahaute I believe that took them all. He had or serviced a couple of all you can eat resturants and he said they were ideal. No more work to cook a big turkey than a small one so it was cheaper per serving in the long run!
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

7. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

I'd take a 30 lb turkey at the drop of a hat.One year my ddad got one and simply had the butcher bandsaw it in half, we roasted one half and froze the other.If I was doing it today, I'd probably filet out the breast, take off the legs and thighs, then pressure cook and freeze the remainder for turkey stew.I heard a while back that some places deliberately raised oversize turkeys for institutional use- there is a higher meat to bone ratio in a bigger bird-more cost effective.
    Also, many years ago there was a turkey farm here that decided to market''boneless turkey'' as a way of developing a niche market-they were very successful at it-that maybe another option worth exploring

8. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

9. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I think that was a way cool idea; giving your birds to a children's home. May you could auction off your extra birds for charity? It seems like a lot of folks would want in on that deal. :)

10. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Battered Women's Shelters

Shelters for the Homeless or Make the turkey up, make up plates of hot food and give it to the homeless on the street Thanksgiving day

I donate a turkey every year to the local Archery store, they have a turkey shoot, and I take a live turkey down. He is standing in a pen (tarp laid on the ground, straw on top the tarp, and a small fence around him. The winner takes him home <smile> it is amazing how many BIG bad hunters there are..most of the time they come over and I assist in butchering their turkey. Your name goes up on the side of the fence (this is a little late to have your name printed on the flyers for the Turkey Shoot..but next year perhaps).

See if there is a place that sells raw meat for dogs. B.A.R.F. = Biologically Appropriate Raw Foods or for those that can't spell.... Bones And Raw Foods.
    You could easily sell your turkey meat to them. This would then become a year round venture if you wished.

Here is a link to a group that feeds BARF in Chicago, maybe a start
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BARFingChicago/

11. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

We sold ours to restaurants. A 30-35# bird is a snap for them, and it makes a great presentation on their banquet table. The first year we got our birds up to that weight by accident and made some hasty phone calls. The second year, chefs pre-ordered them that size.

12. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Turkey pie, all meat pies sell easily. Personally I like a 30+ pound turkey. I was disappointed when the best I could get was 24!

13. CMATE

CMATE Well-Known Member

Many just don't even know how anymore!

14. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

They are already butchered. The dressed weights are over 25 pounds. I can sell dressed turkeys.

Jena

15. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

Find out who is going to be serving the meals to the homeless in your area.. Red Cross, Salvation Army, or local Churches... then... Call your local newspaper, TV Station, Radio Stations... tell them you are going to go and donate however many turkeys to these Charitable Associations and would love them to come down also. You may even want to do a formal press release about it...

Not only do you get some free advertising for yourself.. you help out many in the community with food for the holidays...

you might also check with the local food banks, many times they do food baskets for the poor.. and could use the donations... again, contact the news agencies in your area and tell them when, what and how much and I am sure they will show for the press coverage...

Lynn in Texas

16. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Mid Michigan Reptile Rescue is up in Bay City. They may be interested in anything you want to get rid of whether pountry or beef Jena.

Believe it of not, turkey is the basis for San Diego Zoo diet or SDZ. This is a formulation created by, yes, the San Diego Zoo to feed to their monitor lizards. I used to feed it myself when we had our own monitors in house for rehab. It goes over quite well with 6' Nile monitors I can tell you that! Not to mention that the dang things can and usually will eat you out of house and home once they start getting much beyond 3'....I used to by 10-15# turkey breasts and grind them. If I was lucky it'd last for a week.

If you're at all interested let me know if you'd rather not contact them yourself. I talk to them at LEAST once a week by phone as they've become very good friends. FYI, they're going to be appearing on Animal Cops on Animal Planet Dec. 2nd I believe.