Creative Uses of 1" Steel Cable

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by texican, Nov 21, 2005.

1. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I rescued a 500' piece of one inch steel cable from getting put into a cutover forest windrow, back in the summer. It was all my tractor would do to drag it out and to the house.

Now I drive right by it and over part of it (it's still stretched out on and next to part of my road)...was hoping to find a use for it, before the need arose to coil it up...it is a tad bit heavy.

I've thought about using it in the future on top of a corral. Considered throwing it in a cement slab, but I'm thinking since it's flexible, it really wouldn't do much for strength *but I could be wrong!*.

If I had a dozer, I could think of a few creative uses, but I'm dozerless right now.

Anyone think of a good use?

2. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

i saw a foot bridge make from 1" cable. it was simpler than any suspension bridge i had ever seen before.

one heck of a zip line

makes good drops for a flexible ladder or foot hold to get onto heavy equipment/trailors.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................If you've got any creeks that need a bridge you could use that cable for a Suspension bridge , unless of course it's been down in a saltwater disposal well then it's only good for the metal recycle rodeo . I'd vote for suspension bridge plus it'd be fun doing all the countryboy engineering work . fordy... :)

4. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Hadn't thought about the suspension bridge! My creek has washed away my two previous bridges...mainly because they were tied into the ground and the ground got swept away... my little brain will have something to work over tomorrow.... :clap:

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Cast some concrete posts leav a hole in them thread the cable thru at A height that would work for livestock and then you have some heavy duty fence.

6. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

Maybe for a cattle catch pen or crowding chute. I like the suspension bridge though.

7. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

I saw some really cool knives that were formed from steel cable.

8. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

If you have an eBay store, list it my the foot for making cable knives, as noted above. Really hard to cut. I use a chop saw.

9. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Select an area that you need cleared of some serious brush. Dig an 18" inch hole 48" deep. Set a 12" X 5' post in the with hole with concrete. Drill a two inch hole through the post near the ground. Make a 24" loop through one end of the cable and place it over the post. Place a 24" piece of 2" black pipe through the hole in the post to secure the cable to the post. Attach the other end of the cable to the shackle on your elephant's leg and viola, tethered brush-clearing elephant.

10. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

What about cable makes it good for knives, is it because it melts readily?

11. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

one inch is kind of thick, but you could use it for clearing small trees and saplings. Put it up high on the tree your removing, run it through a pulley low on another tree and hook it to the tractor or truck. and pull. You'd be suprised how big a tree you can pull out roots and all.

(the pulley is so your not in line with the falling tree while your pulling. I've got a huge dent in the roof of my 4wd pickup from misjudging tree height,) :bash:

12. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

well, it has tons of high strength wires composing the whole, so if you get it hot and work it you end up with something incredibly durable.

also it is attractive to the "pretty knife" crowd since it resembles damascus.

13. fernando

fernando Well-Known Member

...................toss it out to a drowning politician ?

14. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

it would not work well in cement

rebar is used because it is stiff, and this is flexible so it would be a disaster if you counted on it to act as reinforcement

chickenwire or metal lathe creates a ferrocement where the flexibility and tensile strength of the steel works in harmony with the cement to create a product stronger than either. The effect requires a narrow gauge.

I think the fence idea is great. I wonder about the bridge, but could be persuaded with a photo. The size and weight make it a challenge to use without a big investment. I'd sell it, even as salvage due to the weight.

Gary

15. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Cut it into about 12 inch pieces, weld the one end and unravel the other to form steel tree shapes, something like mini bonsi figures. I have seen such sell at upper end craft shows for over $100.00, mounted on a suitable wooden base.

16. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

take it and make a extremely heavy duty trot line to catch those giant catfish everyone claims is in everyones local lake :rolleyes:

17. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

It is usefull if you need to fence across a creek or ponds. For the pond, drain it and put in steel pipe posts that you cut holes through to run the cable as a fence and will last better under water than barbed wire, etc.

Second use is to cross a creek that floods with a fence. You run it over the creek along the fence line. Make a gate like device that hangs on the wire and can swing vertically with the flood and let debris though the gate and it swings back after the water is down. Holds up better than barbed wire and doesn't dam the creek with debris.