Creative Reusages of Christmas Wrapping Paper

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

OK, for those who put it to another use (even in repackingly next year) how do you do so?

2. Simpler1773

Simpler1773 Well-Known Member

Use it as packing material for shipping!

Ricki

3. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

I will -
    *make gift tags for next year - cut out the pattern you want & glue it to a piece of stiff paper/lightweight cardboard
    *make ornaments for next year's to give away - glue to thin wood or heavy paper & cut out; spray with sealant
    *cut into squares for notepaper by the phone
    *roll up into a tight ball for the cat to play with ;) -- really fun to watch

4. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

This is our "reuse" plan for wrapping paper. Cats love to shred it, dog chases it, and in the end it all fits into a small bag for recycling.

5. dok

dok Well-Known Member

I'm asking here not suggesting, but would it be suitable to be used for composting or mulching?

6. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

When I was a kid my mom had a big box of wrapping paper scraps. Every trimmed piece went into the box, as well as wrap from presents that had been opened carefully. I can remember digging though the box looking for a scrap to wrap the school teacher's gift, etc. We usually burn it, but I guess it would make good packing material. I used to save a few big pieces every year to wrap the kid's stocking gifts so they looked different than the ones under the tree.

7. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

Started a great fire in the wood stove this morning...it was saved funny papers & brown sacks. I try not to buy "xmas wrapping paper". We use xmas bags but save those & tissue paper.

8. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

an add-on to my other post:

I also
    *use it in my scrapbooks!
    *make festive envelopes
    *make gift bags for next year!!!

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Bags are so much easier and can be reused many times if you are careful with them.

You can also get cheap 'Christmas' fabric after the holidays and sew up some nice bags to use the next season and thereafter.

10. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

I love making gift bags, too! I haven't bought gift wrap in several years, but love to put what we receive to good use!

11. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

The good bits we'll use next year to wrap gifts. We also use fabric bags which are used over and over. The Christmas cards I make all my gift tags from.

12. Hoosierdaddy

Hoosierdaddy Well-Known Member

put in in a paper shredder and instead of buying tissue next year, use it - it's festive and cheap!

13. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

I'd like to know about this too. Some folks say they shred junk mail for chicken litter, but wrapping paper is different. Anyone??

14. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I'll save big pieces,bows,and ribbons. Unfortunately,my dogs shred up most of the paper on Christmas morning...they open their gifts,then "help" everyone else lol.
    I remember when I was little,I could tell which gifts were from my Grandparents because the paper was so wrinkled...it had been used and folded up so many times,there were white crease lines all over it. I have no idea how many times they would reuse paper,but those are some good memories. :)

15. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

I trained my family from a young age not to rip parcels open, but to remove the wrapping as carefully as possible. As they unwrapped, I collected and folded paper. Consequently, I haven't had to buy wrapping paper for years and years. Most of the time it doesn't even need ironing.

You could use long strips of wrapping paper for wrapping around the edge of a Christmas cake as decoration. And kids can cut out pictures on the paper to make gift cards or to cover gift boxes.

16. auntieemu

auntieemu Well-Known Member

as long as the paper is not shinny it can be composted or used as litter - but if it has any metalic glitter it should not be.

17. designer

designer Well-Known Member

Cover empty containers after using the contents by either glueing or taping it on. Then refill container fro a gift or for your own use. Example, a round cardboard canister, with the silver inside, can be covered and filled with hot cocoa mix or snack mix.

18. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

to all of you that end up with those lil shreds of paper....

I take them, with all their nostalgic lil wrinkles, rub them somewhat flat, and glue them onto cardboard boxes.. (saved or bought both work).. then shelack them to put gifts in next year. :D they are cute, and only need a bow on top before placing under the tree next year. People tend to love them, and save them to use as decorations etc in their own home.

Kaza

19. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

All paper in our house leaves through the garden. We run it through the shreader (to get it nice and thin) and then we use it to mulch around the tomatos (etc). Grass cant grow through it as easy as soiled hay. I have to run the disc over it to get the bed ready for next year, but I do that anyway. shrug. I'll let ya know if we run into any problems with it because right now IM LOVING THE PAPER MULCH.

OH BTW....While people are more than willing to dig through your garbage to pull out your used checks, etc in order to make your life a living......while living it up as YOU. It doesnt seem to occure to them to dig through your GARDEN for that kinda stuff!!!! Safest place to ditch your old bank/credit statements, etc is as MULCH!!!

20. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I thought I was the only one to do that!!! giggle HAZZAH!!!