Creative Name for Home/Homstead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wannabee, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

My wife wants to come up with a "name" for our place. She just doesn't like "Clark's Farm" or "The Clark's House". I was wondering what kind of great, creative names some of you have? How did you "stumble" upon that name???

Thanks!

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We call our place "Hickahala Ranch" because our northern property line runs down the middle of Hickahala Creek. In Chickasaw it means Hicka = stop, hala = arrive, thus meaning "arrive and stop" which is what we want our friends and family to do!

Also, hubby said it has to be called a ranch instead of a farm because we have horses. :rolleyes:

Of course, the community calls us "that big new house on the hill".

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Terri's Garden. I got it off of a T-Shirt that my sister made for me.

I sell blackberries, and I am working on branching out into honey and asparagus. It seemed appropriate, somehow.

4. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Make up a Native American sounding name by combining a few letters from the name of each family member or find a landmark or outstanding feature on the property and derive a name from that.

5. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

There is a place not far from where I grew up called "Notalotta Acres". I always thought that was pretty cute.

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Our place is named Gloryhill. My son, from the city, named it that when he saw the hill behind us with all it's Fall colors.

Around here, it's called the H_______ place after the people who used to own it. When we're dead, it will be called the St____ place. :D

7. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

We call this place home :)

Officially it is the Luther H. Stuckey House or as the locals call it the Stuckey place, named for Luther H. Stuckey (duh) a prominent civil rights leader in this area and the leader of the NAACP in this county in the 70s. All the old timers have stories to tell about old man Stuckey! We bought the house from his daughter.

For business purposes we are Mistletoad Organics - there is mistletoe in the trees out back and we have more toads than I have ever seen in one place before. There is a mistle thrush so why not a mistletoad?

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I never named the farmstead, but did name a business with combined name of ex-spouse, so now it's conflicting to sort out. I would look for natural features that are permanent on the property, or something characteric to name a homestead after, maybe something like EVERWILLOW (because that grows somewhere all the time) or POPLAROSA :haha:

I know people who operate a farmsead/sawmill operation. They also have outpost hunting/fishing camp which they call 'Camp NEVEROWN'. :D

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

10. Texasterran

Texasterran Well-Known Member

One of the best names for a homestead was in VT. and CT. "It'll Do Acres," and "Polish Hacienda." :)

11. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

12. Caleob K.

Caleob K. Member

Reminds me of a place by Kansas City called lake lattawata :haha:

I'm looking for a name for my new homestead as well. Circle K is, unfortunately, taken. I agree with other posters that a permanent landmark is a good start. I might include "thistle" in my place's name since they seem to be about as permanent as anything I've ever seen.

13. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

ours is Running Water Ranch , after getting stuck in the mud and running water on the driveway after a rain , and 40 loads of gravel later, we still have the creek , and running water, the irony is we havent put the well in yet, but hey, its arkansas, right ?
    :D

14. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Well when we first started out we were called Blackwater Farms after anearby creek Blackwater. Then along came another family in the same business as we were and named theres...Blackwater Farms. Tried being polite(should have fought for it as it efected our business). Gave up and changed it to Twin Valley as per my wifes request as we lived in one of two almost identical small valleys in the area. I hated it as it sounded like a Salad Dressing or such. Well after the wife passed we sold the majority of the farm and we moved onto a piece of it we kept and started a new home etc. I havnt officially named the place and dont know if I will. But some of the things I have referred to it as are

Pricerosa (last name and Ponderosa from Bonanza tv show)
    White trash bed and breakfast
    Hard Scrabble Holler
    Hick Holler
    Hillbilly Heaven
    Rooster Ranch

I usually use these when getting up to leave and I look over at the boys and say "well you boys ready to head for the ....insert name from above.

I made up my brand the other day

2 (another 2 layed on its side) 2 p

2 lazy 2 pee

15. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

Our place is called Blazingguns Ranch, named after my two dogs, Blaze and Gunner!!!!

16. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

You could try to come up with something that the land is noted for or on the land: Deer Run, Gooseberry Patch, Blueberry Path, Fox Run, Hickory Hollow...Joan :)

17. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

''oleo acres the cheaper spread'' :cool:

18. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Unofficially, The Mud Ranch. Business name Avant Gardenz.
    Mud Ranch, my sisters idea. Avant Gardenz, a spin off from an Areosmith song.

19. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

One of the funniest names I've seen is just down the road. The folks who own it are the Aikens. Their farm is at the bottom of a hill. The name of their place is "Aiken Bottom".

:D

20. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

*laugh*

I wanted to call the place Semper Fi Farms, after the Marine motto: Always Faithful.

The husband vetoed it. Marines have no sense of humor... The logo would have been awesome!