Creating a Garden Refuge in the Flatlands

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Wannabee, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

We would like to create some English garden hideaway in the middle of a corn field. My nearest windbreak is 3/4 a mile donw the road, and it is a stop sign. We are literally out in the middle of nowhwere. But I have always dreamed of some sort of garden refuge, where I could go out, sit in the garden, listen to the waterfall, but yet, not be seen by the people on our road. Has anyone done this before? How did you create something out of nothing? Does anyone have any pics they would be willing to share?

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Personally, I have nightmares of being lost in a cornfield, so I wouldn't pursue privacy that way. Plus that is only temporary until harvest.

I would start by putting in the backbone of privacy trees and shrubs first, then each year add more and more to the landscaping.

P. Allen Smith has a website and good books about making garden "rooms". I started my privacy garden two years ago and now the backbone (flowering crepe myrtles, rose of sharon and butterfly bushes) are almost as tall as I am. This year, I will plant a row of flowing azaleas and other bushes that have edibles for birds. In front of those, will be nonfussy perennials.

http://www.pallensmith.com/

Here is the book I like that shows what you want:
    P. ALLEN SMITH'S GARDEN HOME: Creating a Garden for Everyday Living (Clarkson Potter/ Publishers, February 2003) I've distilled the concept of garden design to show readers how to make "rooms" for relaxing, bird-watching, cooking, entertaining, and simply enjoying the pleasures of nature.

Good luck!

3. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Have you thought about creating a walled garden? That would give you privacy and would fit well with the English garden idea.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Wannabe;
    been there, done that. Only thing I would change is to make the arbaviteas and white pines that surround all our buildings spread farther apart with the outside rows farther away from the buildings. We got our trees from the Jasper-Pulaski county state fish and wildlife service. Cheap. Go to your county FSA office or your county extension agent and ask them every question you can think of. Now is the time to order your trees for spring planting. You will be surprised how soon these trees grow into a very effective windbreak. Snow doesn't drift around our buildings. They also have flowering trees, and shrubs that would fit your purposes very well. You can do anything your nerves will allow behind these trees without worrying about spectaters. I know!

If you ever get up to Shipshewanna, they have a Wannacup resturant. You would fit right in there.

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

How is the corn field harvested? Is it cut for silage or for grain? If it is cut for silage I'd hate to think of a custom silage harvester walled in by tall corn clipping along at 4-5 mph and suddenly coming upon shrubs, small trees or plants other than corn. Could they get stopped in time, could the catch truck get stopped, etc.

6. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Children of the corn oh my !!

7. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

interlopers!

8. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

I may try ordering some of the young plants. Thant's not a bad idea at all. I am sure the Grant County extension office has to offer something.

Thanks again!