creamy butter?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by mamagoose, Jan 14, 2007.

1. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

I churned my first batch of butter tonight, but it is whipped and creamy. It never went into little lumps at all, so it was impossible to strain or work any buttermilk out. The buttermilk that's left it quite thick as well. (Going to use it in some pumpkin pie.) The butter certainly is delicious (added a bit of real salt), but not sure if it will last long. Should will be great for toast and rolls, but I think something went wrong. I let the cream set on the counter for about 6 hours and the kitchen temp was around 68 all day. Any ideas? My milk/cream is from a Red Poll if that makes any difference. Read where their milk has smaller fat globules than other breeds. I used a 1 gallon dazey churn. TIA!

2. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Let cream sit at room temp for 24 hours, and it might work better? It may have been too warm.

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Did you put it in a bowl and run cold water over it while working with a spoon? That will get out more buttermilk.

Heather

4. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like to me that your cream may have been too warm. I have more trouble making butter in the summer months when the temp. and humidity are higher.

5. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

I really couldn't work it with a spoon right out of the churn because it was so creamy. I went ahead and just put it in the frig and within an hour it had firmed up, so I think I could have worked it then. I had to get to bed and work this a.m., so haven't tried anything else yet. We had it on muffins this a.m. and were perfectly pleased. (The buttermilk pumpkin pie is yummy, too!) DS was churning it and now what I'm thinking is that he churned too long (warming it up?) I didn't even check it while he was churning. He just kept saying nothing was happening. When I took over I could see the big creamy lumps nearly covered by all the buttermilk and drained the buttermilk off. Can't wait to try another batch.

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Our butter looks like that when its just turning from cream into butter. If we stop then it stays that way, but if we keep churning, it firms up into normal butter. Is that a possibility??

7. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking.
    I've only done butter in a jar, but if it is just shook gently, it will end up like this sounds. If it is shook faster, or harder, it clumps into bigger clumps.

8. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

it sounds like you may have stopped too soon, I have to kinda roll the churn a bit at this point to make sure it moves all of it, keep going and all the globs start sticking to gether, sounds like it was out the right ammount of time..

i usually strain through a butter muslin cloth or sanitary tea towel lining a stainless strainer and run ice cold water through before i work, some strain like that then churn it again in ice cold water..

9. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

My butter takes no less than 20 minutes shaking in a jar about 2/3rds full of sour cream around 64 degrees temp. Then, I just keep shaking till it forms balls, then strain off the buttermilk, and rinse in cool water at the faucet, put it on a dinner plate, and press the remaining buttermilk out using a rubber spatula, with the plate at an angle with a paper towel under it to catch the run-off buttermilk.

Pets love the buttermilk.

10. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

I use my KitchenAid mixer to make butter. It has a shield for the top of the bowl to keep the cream from sloshing out when gathering the butter. It is faster and easier than my Daisy churn.

11. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

I make my butter in a blender and it works great for me. I agree with the others..I think it was too warm and that's why it didn't firm up.