Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dexter that I'm milking twice a day so I've wanted to make creme fraiche or marscapone cheese. How long does the cream keep in the fridge? Also, I'm over run with milk and want to make cheese; other than mozzarella what is the easiest to make? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Yogurt is as easy and fast as it gets.

When we were making lots of yogurt we would use it as a substitute for mayo, cream cheese, and sour cream. It wasn't always a great substitute, but in many recipes it was even better.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Cream should last at least a week. I have made butter with 2 wk old cream.
Queso Fresco is really easy. I found an easy Mozz recipe on a cheese forum I make all the time now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yogurt is as easy and fast as it gets.

When we were making lots of yogurt we would use it as a substitute for mayo, cream cheese, and sour cream. It wasn't always a great substitute, but in many recipes it was even better.
That's exactly what I've been doing lol. I have one of those older Salton thermostat yogurt makers so very easy to do. That was milking once a day though, now since its two times a day I want to make cheeses instead. There is only two of us in this family so we are kind of yogurted out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts