Cream Trouble - Too Thick?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dezeeuwgoats, Jan 13, 2007.

1. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I posted this in cooking, with no response. Maybe I'll have better luck finding someone who uses a cream separator here in the goat forum. Update - I did warm the 'chunk' o' cream on the stove on low and whisked some milk back in. I've got two quarts of cream and it is still far thicker than store-bought.

I own a teal colored, manual cream separator bought at Lehmans. The first few times I used it the cream was too thin, so I tightened the thingamajig to get thicker cream. I used it yesterday - the first time in a year or two. (it is a pain to use/clean). I got a nice thick cream - and was looking forward to serving strawberries and cream to my family. Of course I placed the cream in the fridge.

When I went to serve the cream - it wouldn't budge! I thought there was maybe a thicker layer on top so I grabbed a spoon - I DUG to the bottom - it was thick all the way through.....butter thick. I know spoon cream cannot be poured, but this is ridiculous. I got three cups of this stuff - from about three gallons of goat's milk. I'm thinking I'll never need to churn butter if I leave it on this setting, lol!

So, how do I salvage this cream - can I warm it to room temperature and add a little milk back in, or will it keep separating? Also, I only turned that tightening screw the teeniest, weeniest bit - so somewhere in the middle is the elusive setting for 'normal' thick cream? I followed the directions in the manual for tightening it. Not sure what happened - help!

Niki

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

could you try putting it in the blender with some cold milk, blend it all up till its the right consistancy?

3. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

KSALguy - warming it and whisking it did work....I was afraid that the blender may end up turning it into butter! No going back to cream after that, lol.

I guess my question now would be - how to set the screw so that I get cream the correct consistency.

thanks;
    Niki