cream seperators???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by suzyhomemaker09, Oct 5, 2005.

1. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Ok this question is for those of you that have and use one...what kind do you have/recommend. I'm wanting to get one but with the cost being so high I want to be sure of getting the most for our money.
    Any advice would help us make a decision.

2. tatanka

tatanka Well-Known Member

I bought an old McCormick-Deering hand crank cream seperator last year at an auction. My DS replaced the seals and added gear oil to it. I repainted the base and it sits in my kitchen for use whenever I need it. I have less than $100 in it. You might start looking around depending on the area you live in and find a keeper.

Marla

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Check out Ebay. I got mine there.

Ruth

4. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

I see so many listed from time to time on E-bay...but what one to get...so many are lsited as " vintage" and DH is afraid they won't be functional....it's alot of money to toss into something that may not work.

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We have a new Plava from Caprine Supply, or maybe it was Hoeggers, not sure. Paid a small fortune and it works just fine. Only thing I don't like about separators is cleaning them.

About a week after I bought it, I saw an ad in the local paper that someone was selling a 'vintage' Montgomery Ward for a super reasonable price. Seemed too good to be true. Bought it anyway. Well, it was in pieces, but all the pieces were there including the original box and instructions. The bowl needs resurfacing, haven't looked into that yet. Might be another small fortune.

6. Librum

Librum Well-Known Member

Lehmans sells new. I have a 'Ward', and Lehmans was the only folks who had parts for me, via their special 'hard to find parts' flyer. I also bought a table top electric from them for about $350. They also had a handcranked version. LOVE IT. Hardly use the Ward any more.

As far as refurbishment, Charleen, find 'Caswell' on the web. caswellplating.com, I think. Anyway, they are the folks who supply all the food safe metal plating, polishing, etc, materials. My SO developed the 'cold tin dip' plating and sold them the process. My Ward looks kind of funny, as he used it to develop with, so it has a splotchy 'character'.

Sarah
    The Librum