Cream Separator questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jan Sears, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Jan Sears

Jan Sears Well-Known Member

I have an old cream separator that I acquired some years ago. I now have need of it. It desperately needs cleaning & it needs oil in it. I do not have a manual for it so need some help. What kind of oil would I put into it? It is a hand cranked Eskilstuna Separator made in Eskilstuna, Sweden & has the name Vega in the middle of a star which is in the middle of the label. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

check on ebay i seen several manuals for cream sep today but not sure of that brand.

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

A light non-detergent oil would be a place to start, such as a 10W weight. Don't put in too much.

4. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I used to refurbish separators. Use only light machine oil, what they used to call sewing machine oil. It must be light enough to create a mist to lubricate the spindle bearing. You might first clean the interior out using diesel fuel, cranking it for a while to lube the bearing and dislodge any grime inside, then drain it.

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

sent ya a pm jan. i would get some pipe line acid (use well ventilated, rubber gloves and goggles too) then scrub all the parts with it ,it will remove rust as well as grease and milk residues.

6. Heritagefarm

Heritagefarm Left wing, right wing, they taste the same. Supporter

Vega separators were also Eaton separators. If you still got it, can I have some pictures?
    @Bruce in NE
    Yes, thank-you! Someone else told me that, now I can be sure of that!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010