Cream question...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, Sep 9, 2006.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

We have just started skimming the cream off of our goats milk. Usually we just shake and drink. Anyway this morning when I was skimming some that had been in the fridge a couple of days the cream is so thick that it is like elmers glue. Around the edges it even has an almost waxy appearance. Is that normal? Never gave it much thought until today, but both batches I skimmed were that way. Thanks!!

2. KellyHill

KellyHill Well-Known Member

yep thats normal, the very top is always like that after a day or so. very yummy in coffee! :hobbyhors

3. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

that's how mine is... it's very good on cereal too :rolleyes:

4. Bella Star

Bella Star LaMancha & Boer

I let my milk set a day and then skim off and freeze for making butter. I dont like the fat droplets that float around on top of my coffee and I cant take the fat due to my cholesterol levels :(

5. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

I was going to ask, so this is an opportune time, how do you all make goat milk butter? I heard the cream doesn't really separate, but I guess I heard wrong... :)

~ Carol

6. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

It is much better if you use a cream separator. Just be sure the milk is room temp before using the machine.

7. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

To make the butter you just shake, churn, the cream until you have the butter. We have a little daizy churn that we use regular cream in to make butter, and now we are in the process of saving enough goat cream for it. It's gonna take a while to get as much as we are used to doing. But I'm looking foward to when we do. :)

8. Bella Star

Bella Star LaMancha & Boer

Try this site for pictures of how to make butter as I found the site by hunting tinetine's daisy churn in her post above , THANKS Tinetine !

www.mullerslanefarm.com/butter.html