Cream has a PINK Tint?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by cindy04, Sep 3, 2006.

1. cindy04

cindy04 Well-Known Member

After milking this am, and placing new milk in the refrig. we noticed yesterdays milk cream (sitting at top of jar) was a very light pink in color. We have never noticed this before, and she has no other symptoms of infection so far. We have no hot lumpy areas, no fever, appitite is excellent, just the light pink stuff that is in the cream. When stirred with a spoon it actually swirls around. Not that this would be an accurate test but I did put some of this pink cream in a spoon and added a couple drop of peroxide and did not get any fizz at all.
    She is in her 5 th month of lactation with us milking only and no calf or older cows nursing on her. She was AI's 7 weeks ago and so far we believe that she settled as no signs of a heat cycle.
    Any ideas?
    Cindy

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Nobody in the house dipped a strawberry in the cream when you weren't looking?

(stated in a more serious fashion--there's no chance something red but non-blood got into the cream after it left the cow when you weren't looking?)

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

The only other thing besides something accidently contaminating the milk is that she may have bruised one of her quarters. If this is the case that would explain the pink milk. If there was blood in the milk would the peroxide make it fizz? Is that why you did that test? If it's a bruise it's no big deal, no action needed on your part. They usually heal up in a couple days.

Heather

4. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

If you did not wash her teats before milking, she may have had a speck of some kind of weed seed or berry that bled color out into the cream. Round here I would guess Poke salad.

5. furholler

furholler Cedar Cove Farm Supporter

I just went through this a couple of weeks ago. I was told it is blood caused by mastitis. I never called a vet, just treated her with antibiotics, waited the specified period, the pink started going away a little each day until it was gone. The milk is good and we just had some homemade icecream. :baby04: Wheather or not the antibiotics did the trick, I don't know but the pink went away. Just my .02.

6. cindy04

cindy04 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the input and ideas. By the next day the color was going away, and she seems to being doing just fine.
    UpNorth, You asked about the peroxide. I only tried the peroxide, thinking that if there was blood involved it should have fizzed. No expertise here just a thought. There was no fizz, not even one little bubble.
    Thanks again, Cindy