Crazy tomato lady!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Queen Bee, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

What is wrong with me --I am so crazy! I love to plant tomato seeds and now I have 75 tomato plants in their own small pot and probably 100 more in the starter trays!!! About 10 different var. Some new, some old, some early, mid, and late season, some for hot weather and some for wet weather some hybrids and some old fashions!!! JUST in case ;)! I do this every year and can't bear to throw any of them out. So, I give them away and plant enough tomato plants to feed a small army. By the end of the season I am usually 'begging' some one to take them! Now-just wait- We always plant enough of everything for my DH's family to have --I mean aunts, uncles, cuzes, brothers, sisters and half the neighbor hood......

But this year was going to be different. We have cut down on all the crops and I had told my self that I would only plant 50 tomato plants. NOw what!!!! :eek: :eek:

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Have a garage sale and sell them at it.

3. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

It's a disease . . . I have often wondered if there shouldn't be some type of support group for those of us who are plain unsatisfied unless we have 15+ varieties of tomatoes (and at least 3-5 plants of each variety). In case you couldn't tell, I'm similarly afflicted. :)

Garage sale or talk to your friendly neighborhood feed store or family owned garden center. I bet someone would be happy to sell them for you on consignment.

4. Queen Bee

Thanks! :haha: My oldest DD said it was a disease! I think I'll try the small local greenhouse! :eek: But what happens if they have a different var. than I have---- :no: I'll have to send DD!!!

5. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

But what happens if they have a different var. than I have---- I'll have to send DD!!!

ROFL . . . I remember when I ran out of a particular color of thread, and I just had to have another spool. It was a Saturday, so I figured I'd just go to my favorite quilting store and pick it up. My dh graciously offered to do it for me.

I was soooooo touched, and after he left, I mentioned to my 14 dd how sweet her father was to offer to go to the quilting store for me. She just about died laughing and said, "He was just worried you'd spend a fortune picking up fabric in addition to the thread."

My name is Julie, and I'm also a fabricholic. :D

6. Marsh

Marsh Well-Known Member

You could always figure out how to ship them. And I could take a few off your hands LOL Lastyear I wanted to make green tomatoe relish, so bad that I paid $2.49 a pound for the green tomatoes from a farm stand near here. Of coure I wanted to make it when green tomatoes weren't in season, they only wanted to sell red ones :( I have a terrible time growing tomaotes from seeds :( Otherwise I would be a tomatoeholic too. Take care ladies
    Marsh

7. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Did you say you have extra tomato seeds? My neighbors and I have a market garden and could use them if you don't have a need. Let me know. My email is hsnrs@vtc.net. Thanks.

8. JJ Grandits

JJ Grandits Well-Known Member

Did the same thing for a number of years. At my peak I had about 300 plants in the ground. I ate tomatoes, canned them, sold them, gave them away, Threatened people with a midnight delivery on their front porch. You have to wean yourself off them. Substitute different veggies in their place. I did it with peppers. Don't lose hope, you can still lead a normal life.

9. Queen Bee

Thanks everyone! Julia-NC I also sew and do crafts--I ahve a room full to prove it :eek: :eek:

10. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

Hi Queen Bee, you crazy tomato lady. (grins)

Reading this thread made me smile and think of a line from the movie "Steel Magnolias" about tomatoes.

I dont remember how Shirley McClain exactly said the line, but was something like....

"Have some tomatoes. I hate them."
    (She is handing out tomatoes in the beauty parlor, as she comes in.)
    When asked why she grows them she replies,
    "Because I'm a southern woman and we're SUPPOSE to grow tomatoes and wear floppy hats. I didnt make up the rules!"

Its a great line as her character is a bit head strong and grumpy lady.

Cracked me up, as this thread did. :)