Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for you corn veterans to answer for me. I saw my corn moving today, and discovered the squirrels are stealing it. Upon my discovery I found something disturbing. Some of my partially developed corns had exploded at the top. It looked like (bear with me) like giant sperms in a large group were swimming into the corn cob. They looked like they were made of styrafoam, like the packing peanuts?, and when I opened one it was squishy and black in the middle. No bugs, no odor. Can someone shep some light here? The corn is in zone 5.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Smut....pull the whole stalk and burn it at a distance from the garden. It spreads thru the corn from year to year, as I understand it. Anyone else have info on this?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sounds like smut. Never had a problem with it spreading thru our fields. The gross thing about it is that people actually eat it! YUK!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,154 Posts
Some varieties of corn are more pron to having smut on the ears than others. I understand that in some central American countries the corn is prefered that has a lot of smut because it is eaten just as the morel mushrooms are up here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so where would it have came from? diseased seed? its on a quarter acre in a privacy fenced yard in indianapolis. all other veges are doing fine. will it affect the food it is planted next to?

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Wonder if someone's cultivating it near you-smut's a delicacy in the Latino culture as unk. mentioned, and maybe there's a farm nearby catering to it.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts

Here's a nice recipe for you... :haha:
http://cocinamexicana.com.mx/ingles/menu/typical_food/16.html

QUESADILLAS DE HUITLACOCHE

Ingredients:
1 kg (2.2 lbs.) of huitlacoche (corn smut galls)
8 fresh tortillas
14 cloves of garlic diced
serrano chili, as desired
1 onion, diced
oil
salt

Procedure:
Wash the huitlacoches well.
Toast and dice the serrano chilis

Fry the onion and garlic. Add the huitlacoche, chili, the epazote and salt and cover the pan. Leave on high heat until the huitlacoches are well cooked.

Fill the tortillas, and fold them to form quesadillas with a handful of quesa fresca cheese. Cook on both sides.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can picture it now, A sign by the road. SMUT for sale. Youll have dirty old men lined up down the road! :haha: :haha:

JAKE

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
First time I saw a smutty ear I was so shocked and it looked so horrible that I screamed and threw it! :haha:

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
ozarkin'it said:
for God sakes thats just nasty, and in this area there are a high population of Latinos.
They say it tastes like mushrooms. Unless it tastes like chicken, I want no part of it... :haha:

I dare you to try it. Make that a double dog dare. Fry it up in a little butter and garlic. C'mon, you know you want to! Report back here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you are dreamin baby, I aint eatin that. Even the squirrels avoided the smut ears. So, nobody answered the question, will it hurt my other food planted nearby? -- make them smutty too?

·
Adventuress--Definition 2
4,174 Posts
It's been 25 years since I've had smutty corn but I don't recall it contaminating anything without ears...(lettuce, tomatoes, beans, etc.) :)

katy

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Dot, :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
fin29 said:
They say it tastes like mushrooms...
I dare you to try it. Make that a double dog dare. Fry it up in a little butter and garlic. C'mon, you know you want to! Report back here.

Ok, I'll bite. We are adventurous eaters, so why not. For supper last night, we made it into quesadillas, sauteed with roasted onions, jalapenos & garlic, and homemade garlic cheese on corn tortillas. Texture was about the same as mushrooms, flavor a bit milder. Not bad, but certainly not with the intensity of flavor I was expecting after hearing them described as 'Mexican truffles'. DS went for a second helping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts