Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When starting fires in the morning with some wood that is a little on the green side, nothing helps like a bit of air blowing on the flames.

A hair drying is too much air in too wide of a stream - smoke billows out.

An air mattress pump is okay - kinda noisy and there is some billow.

What is perfect is "canned air". I had a bottle of this on my desk for four years and I finally used it to help with starting fires. It is excellent! Quiet, and just the right amount of air! Plus, you can quite accurately aim the air in a tiny stream. Just the right amount of air. (probably an excellent stocking stuffer - not practical to buy for starting fires, but very fun!)

So now I'm thinking ... it would be cool to have some sort of canister that holds compressed air that I can refill with an air compressor once in a while.

Anybody know of such a thing?

·
Premium Member
18,155 Posts
So now I'm thinking ... it would be cool to have some sort of canister that holds compressed air that I can refill with an air compressor once in a while.

Anybody know of such a thing?
Yeah, it's called a tire innertube....

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Putcha a torch stem onna empty propane bottle and remove burner and adapt to air fittings so yo can refill..:cowboy:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it's called a tire innertube....
:)

Kinda hard to aim ...

Wasn't there a kind of paintball gun that used compressed air? Maybe the canister could be rigged with a sprayer thing.

Hmmmm .... maybe that's the ticket - a sprayer that is empty ... but with a straight metal straw like thing on the tip.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Okay, boys who like their toys...I SHOULD know that.

Must need a nother cup of coffee.

Be careful w/ that compressed air aroud your fires though. That propellant isn't really good for you either...
(Moms like to warn boys about safety).

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blowing on the fire helps some. But the canned air thing seems to use about ten times less air than my blowing and is probably 10 times more effictive.

In fact, maybe that would be an even better contraption: something like a belows or something that would be blown into, but it just has that little straw on the end that focuses it so well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
try a "blowpoke" they kick butt.

My dad made one for the fireplace when I was a kid. Just a piece of copper tube about 4' long (could be shorter I guess) with a fitting on the end that narrowed down kind of like a pencil point. The tip had a small hole drilled in it.

Just blow in the big end and point the little end at the coals. That think rocked! We could make white hot coals easy.

C

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
An aluminum tent stake with the tip hammered almost flat works as a blowtube too.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Put a regulator on your air compressor and use the gadget that is for blowing on the end. You can control the air and will give you another toy to have.:D

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
I am not letting DH read this thread. He was never a Boy Scout and is pretty bad at starting fires. I can imagine coming home one day to find the air compressor from his workshop installed as a new coffee table in the middle of the livingroom.

As it is he uses a weeks worth of kindling to start one fire...I guess it could be worse.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Blowing on the fire helps some. But the canned air thing seems to use about ten times less air than my blowing and is probably 10 times more effictive.

In fact, maybe that would be an even better contraption: something like a belows or something that would be blown into, but it just has that little straw on the end that focuses it so well.
I use a 1/4" dia. 36" long piece of flexibe copper tubing. You can stich the end right where you need to get air... just remember to take your mouth off the tubing before you inhale for the next blow.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts