Crazy ?-can I get poison ivy from goat's milk?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by vancom, May 25, 2006.

1. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

This sounds nuts but hear me out. I am terribly allegeric to poison ivy--got it so bad last year that I needed steroid shots, etc. This year I have already had it twice. The last time it was clearing up, and I went away for business for 1 week. It got alot better and was quite nearly gone.

I come home, do nothing outside but milk the goats in the shed after they've roamed the area all day, and darn if it doenn't come rushing back. Same places, almost systemic in nature. In places where the sun doesn't shine if you get my drift and where I KNOW I have not been exposed to it this week--directly anyway.

Now, I know I can get it from patting the goats after they've given my lots of yummy milk, but the posion ivy is mostly low weed level since they've been chomping on it. Not even udder level. Could I get it from drinking the milk??

Vanessa

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

that is a very good question, i wouldnt think so.......if anything i would "THINK" that it would be similar to eating honey to help fight alergys to pollen,
    the only thing i can think of is if by chance you happend to get some on the palms of your hands from milking or patting the goats then it got transfurd to some place else, i have never had poison ivy on my Palms, i am no expert but i think its has to do with the differint type of skin and its absorbtion differinces, but i have had poinson ivy lots of other places so i compleatly know how you feel,
    what are you useing to treat it? the only things that have worked for me is "colonial Silver" if you can find it (but its pricy) and Bleach. i have done both a 1-1 ratio of bleach and water and also straight bleach, it drys out the oils causing the reaction and will help clear it up alot faster than Calamine lotion (just be carful with the bleach incase your alergic to it also)

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I don't think you can get it from milk. I've read somewhere that drinking raw milk from goats that eat poison ivy will actually help build immunity to it.

I know I get it in odd places. I imagine you have it on your hands, it gets transferrred to other places, clothing, whatever, then on other parts of your body. My son always gets it on his face because he never remembers to wash his hands and is always messing with his face. scratch scratch scratch...

4. Muskrat

Muskrat Well-Known Member

I would think the only way to get it through the milk is if the goat somehow has it in her bloodstream. If it were in the milk, you would have it in your mouth or on your lips, I would think.

Do your goats ever lie down in the poison ivy? Have you seen them scratch their heads with their hind feet? Do they ever lick and nuzzle each other while they're grazing the poison ivy? All these are ways the toxin can be transferred from ground level to the goats' heads and necks.

Be sure to wash your hands after handling the goats and before you do anything else. Most people don't wash their hands BEFORE going to the bathroom, which is how some of this gets transferred to personal places.

You're certain you aren't allergic to the goats? My sister can be around them all day, as long as she doesn't touch them. Then her hands will break out in an itchy, red, fluid-filled rash and she has on occasion transferred the rash to other places just by touching them. She has no problem drinking the milk, or using goat's milk products.

5. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

I do believe you can. make sure she doesnt get in to posin ivy. And see what that get you.
    I know if your burn poisin ivy and you inhale the smoke you will get it in your respertory tract.

6. auntieemu

auntieemu Well-Known Member

If you have pets that have brushed against it and pet them you can get it, so I would think it is possible with the goats too, but not from the milk.

Muskrat gave good advice on washing before you use the toilet. Are you washing everything that has been in contact with the posion ivy? Clothes, buckets, etc?

My brother is so allergic that if we burn wood in the fireplace that has had vines on it, he can't handle the wood. If he gets it on his pants, sits on the sofa and then later sits on the sofa in his underwear or shorts he will break out.

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Not from the milk, but I'll bet they lay down in the poison ivy and it gets transferred to you......Its an insidious plant....

8. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

A man who lived on my block is a writer for the local paper. He told a story about his childhood once. He ahd a friend who was incredibly allergic to Poison Ivy. One day some nasty bullies forced him and his friend to EAT Poison Ivy. They waited for him to die, but nothing happened except he was never allergic to PI again!
    Not that I'm recommending eating it, but thinking maybe drinking it in the milk MIGHT be more helpful than otherwise...

9. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm also allergic to poison oak/ivy. I do not believe that you can get it from the milk. I do sometimes get it where I have leaned against the goat milking, or on my hands and arms from milking. I try to remember to wear gloves with them after they have been out in it. It's a hassle to milk wearing gloves, but worth it if I don't get a rash.
    You can also get it, as others have mentioned, by touching or being touched by someone who has it on their hands (I got it once after DH had been out working in it.) You can get it from handling clothing of someone who has been in it.
    The best product I have found for it is Tecnu. You wash well with it after you have maybe gotten into poison oak, or at the first sign of outbreak. I have found that it really does keep it from getting worse. Nothing else I have used has been helpful.
    mary

10. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

I am never out in it (I can recognize it a mile away, I swear) and we have very little left in the electric fenced area that the goats have not consumed. I think the culprits may be the dogs--they roam the rest of the property and we have lots if PI everywhere. But I keep getting it in the same places--around my neck in the front, along my jaw line and on my arms--never the hands either front or back. Not to mention the unmentionable spots that really make me wonder!

I'll try to avoid the dogs for a while and wash my hands after I milk. I have some kind of product that a pharmacist recommended--ssomeone else mentioned it, Tecnu, and I tried it last year but I'd need to bath in it every day if I really wanted it to work! So now I just try to avoid it--looks like I'll have to step up and watch more closely. Maybe I will build up an immunity--that'd be a great pasrt of drinking milk!

Vanessa

11. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

Maybe you're not getting it on your hands because you wash them frequently and the oil gets washed off before it can get absorbed but not before your hands have been in contact with other areas?

12. Merrique

Merrique Well-Known Member

I have heard that if goats eat the poison ivy, you can get it by petting or being rubbed by them. I have had this happen, myself.

13. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I don't usually get it on my hands either (knock on wood). I always get it on my arms, the inner part of my lower arms and the outer parts of my elbows? Weird. I think your dogs are a very likely culprit.

One other thing I have heard is using homeopathic Rhus. Tox. You take it every day during PI season and it helps you build immunity. You can also take it when you have an outbreak.

Another thing that works quite well is jewelweed. It usually grows near poison ivy. Break of a stem and rub the "juice" on the affected spot. It really helps with the itching and dries up the ooze. Yuck. There is also a spray-on Rhus. Tox. I think it's called Rhusto. You should be able to get it at the health food store.

Here's a link with some remedies.
    http://www.remedysource.com/store/poison_ivy_pills.php

14. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

I personally have never had it, But I have heard a few stories
    do not know if it is true or not but
    if you were to go camping get poison ivy
    then go camping at a later time with out washing your sleeping bag you can get it again

15. delphinium

delphinium Well-Known Member

Even though the poison ivy has been grazed to a low level, contact with the leaves creates a spray of oils that can spray three feet on a still day, further on a windy day. So, if your goats are wandering through it, they could be getting the oils on their udders.

Keep a bar of old-fashioned brown laundry soap handy and be sure to wash off with that after handling the goats. The oils can last on clothes, gloves, boots, etc. for weeks. Burt's Bees carries a poison ivy soap that has been very effective for me, it contains jewel weed and pine tar.

16. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

I never got a poison ivy rash till I got sheep/goats! They eat it like crazy! Then of course, they want to come over and rub on me! i bet you're picking it up from their nibbling on you and getting it on your clothes or pail etc. I thought that drinking their milk would help you to become immune....
    TRY THIS: Hyland's POISON OAK/IVY tablets. It's a red and white homeopathic help for the rash. IT WORKS - doesn't cure but it helps a great deal. A friend at work was extremely allergic. Helped her and helps me - give it a try!

17. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

brown laundry soap bar, Burt's Bees and Hyland's PO/Ivy tablets--I'll try them all asap--I know where to find all of them but the brown laundry soap but I'll beat the bushes til I find it--

thanks! I do drink th emilk so maybe an immunity is building--I sure hope so. We want to clear a big area for a new barn, and I'll be out in it this fall!

Vanessa

18. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

I get poison ivy every year from my goats on my right shoulder and arm. They graze out and about and when I milk them, I sit with my right shoulder up against the doe. Occasionally I will get it on my right ear because a few of my girls are so tame that I forget to lock their heads in the stanchion. When they want a bit more feed in their pan before I am finished milking, they will turn their head around and give me "kisses" or nibble on the right side of my head or back of my neck..... If I don't get right up and go to the sink and use soap and water, I get poison ivy everywhere they touch me.
    Sometimes, I will get it on my left wrist/ forearm from reaching under a doe to milk her but not often. You wouldn't happen to be giving one of your girls a hug?
    Tana Mc

19. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

Both my mamas get hugs after each milking, and right now the PI is on the underside of my right arm from wrist to upper arm-- maybe that's it since I do milk from that side. Plus as someone else suggested--the dogs are out and about in all sorts of stuff several tims a day and we are big huggers of animals...maybe I'll need to switch to more verbal praise!!

Vanessa

20. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

Another thing you might try is to take some isopropyl alcohol or that rinseless alcohol-based hand wash out with you and rub it all over your hands and arms when you're done with the goats. It seems to help get the poison ivy oils off of your skin.