Crane County, TX

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by boxwoods, Nov 13, 2004.

1. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Anyone live in or around that can tell me what the land is like? What would 200 acres down that way be worth?

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

It's dry country. Tumbleweeds and rattlesnakes and scorpions.

If you like desert country, it's a nice place.

3. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Thanks Rose for the info

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

......................I lived in Midland , tx for 22 years which is east of Odessa about 20 miles . Crane , is 31 miles South of Odessa . Crane , is very small and Rural . There was , and still probably IS alot of oil being produced in Crane County . I , wouldn't think that 200 acres would...NOT... be worth more than 500 per acre or maybe even less . All of the value is in the subsurface mineral resources extraction of oil . Some of that country has alot of Sand Dunes and does NOT lend itself to raising cattle or livestock . Annual rainfall is rather LOW for the Permain Basin Area . No adequate supply of Native grasse(s) to supply fodder for animals . The Jackrabbits seem to do ok as do the Rattle Snakes and the occaisional deer or bobcat . You have to realize that a group of producing oil wells (say 40 or so) will be tied to a common collection point called a Tank Battery . Which will consist of say 6 , 210 barrel tanks . Now, each well will have a 2 3\8 inch pipeline , LAYING on the Surface of the ground and will transfer it's oil to the tank battery via this pipeline . Then , a tanker truck will come out every so often and pump off around 9,000 gallons or 200 barrels of oil and haul it to the refinery . These surface pipelines are laying on the ground all over the countryside there as long as the wells are producing OIL .
    .................If , I was looking at buying the Surface (you won't BUY any minerals as they won't be for sale more than likely) I would have a Complete title search done that reveals ALL the right of ways , liens against current owners , etc . Lots of issues to explore before I would sign a contract to buy 200 acres . Plus , the country out THERE isn't very appealing IMHO . And , there just isn't much excitement on the weekend unless You like to get Drunk with all the other "OIL Field Trash" as they like to call themselves . fordy... :eek: :)