Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any insight into why my fingers are cramping? Here's the scoop:

For the last couple of months my fingers (index finger mostly) gets pulled down toward the palm...the knuckles don't bend. In fact, I can't even force them to bend when this happens. It's like the ligament that controls the finger from the palm side contracts and cramps in place. It feels like a charlie horse. After a few moments (maybe 30 seconds) it will relax.

It's getting worse..happening more often and longer. Only happens in my left hand.

I'm not taking any medications. There's no numbness associated with this, or pain in the hand, other than what you feel when you get a muscle cramp.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
It may be symptomatic of a problem farther away from the finger, like a muscle spasm in your forearm. If the 7th vertabra is misaligned, it can cause problems down the arms and even the hands.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help :)

7th vertebra, hmm? That's a real possibility. I've been hauling 5gallon water containers...but just one at a time so quite uneven.

I'll add potassium right away. Easy to add a banana or more potatoes. :)

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
I would see a doctor. Something going on with the nerve here, and that isn't something you want to mess with.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Tenosynovitis (trigger finger) or maybe Dupuytren's contracture. I'd go to a medical professional to get is sorted out - whatever it might be. Do you happen to be diabetic?

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tenosynovitis (trigger finger) or maybe Dupuytren's contracture. I'd go to a medical professional to get is sorted out - whatever it might be. Do you happen to be diabetic?
Diabetic, nope. Since I'm overweight my Dr. tests me for it whenever we do blood/urine analysis, but there's no sign of it. Other than 2 herniated discs, I'm boringly healthy. BP is 120/72, heart rate is 64, cholesterol levels good.

I've always used my hands a LOT. Used to train and show hunters/jumpers/dressage/3day full time. Played the piano a LOT. and I'm a computer geek now so my hands are always typing something :) and I knit, crochet and work with clay (pottery).

It does seem to be nerve related...hopefully just a nerve pushed out of place by a vertebra :) I'll make an appointment with the doc, and might just go get my back cracked....that feels good anyway so it's not going to hurt me :)

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
Trigger finger is tendon trouble, not nerve trouble. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00024

And the trouble is actually in the palm, not the finger, but the finger is in pain. Can be more than one finger, can also be the thumb. Can happen at any age - toddler to senior. I've had this twice; 2 different fingers, 3 years apart. Cortisone shots temporarily helped for the second finger, but eventually had both corrected with surgery.

If this is actually what your problem is, Iknow how annoying it can be. I couldn't hold my toothbrush or a pen or turn door knobs. Cold temps seem to hurt worse, too.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Surprisingly you might want to go in for a neck scan. I had that happen to my fingers on my right hand and it turned out to be a ruptured disk in my neck that was causing the problems in my hand. So sorry to hear about your problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts