craigslist dummy

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm trying to sell off some stuff on Craigslist and didn't think it'd be this hard. There is so much information on the FAQ and help page and then the additional forum help and I'm still lost. Has anyone successfully sold stuff on craigslist and if so, can you PM me?

There's all this stuff about scams with checks and money orders then they say don't give out your paypal address? So, how are you supposed to get payment?

Are you to include postage amount in the sale amount or is that separate?

I have my item listed and received the confirmation to my email address. But, when I go to my login page it says I have no postings?

When I want people to pay me using PayPal, do I give out my paypal account email name? I anticipated so, so I created a separate account name.

These seem like basic questions, but I can't find the answers. I'm new to selling stuff online.

2. patience

patience Well-Known Member

I've never sold anything on craigslist but I have bought a few items. I just pick up the item and pay cash. I wouldn't use paypal. Just stick with cash and have them pick up. You could meet them somewhere if you didn't want them to know where you live.

good luck on selling you items

3. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

I have sold stuff there.

You don't have to have an "account" on craigslist to post an ad.

You don't have to read all the warnings, various scams are listed just to make gullible people aware............

If you do an ad there, your email inbox is where you edit or publish your ad......if you made an ad, UNLESS you go to your email inbox and open what craigslist sent you and click on "publish", it won't show up on the site.

You HAVE to click "Publish" in your inbox or you have no ad.

I wouldn't put my paypal address on the site. Tell them you will give it to them if they email you or however they are to contact you......of course you know never to give out your password.....don't even post your email address, let craigslist forward the mail or you will get tons of spam.

Hope this helps

4. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

I have had success in selling on CL. What a wonderful site!!!
    clove

5. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I buy and sell on craigslist from time to time.

It's a cash only basis for me with local pickup. I don't ship anything cross town, or at least I haven't shipped anything yet.

6. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

I buy and sell on craigslist every now and then.

It's definitely easier to have an account with them (it's free and you're only giving out your email addy if I remember correctly) since that way you can view all your postings in one area and can re-list without having to re-do the entire post. You also don't have to confirm your posting via email if you have an account with them, once you click submit it's listed.

Your listing will only appear on your "my listings" page if you listed the item through your accounts page when logged in. If you just go to the main page and click on the "post to classifieds" link then it will not appear on your list.

One thing to take note of - the postings in our area move really fast. By the end of the day your posting is waaayyy down at the bottom of the page, to get it back up to the top you have to delete it, then wait 48 hours and then relist (if you relist sooner it goes back to the same place it was at.) So if we list something on Monday we'll let it run 2 days and then take it off on Wednesday so we can repost on Friday in time for the weekend.

DO NOT USE PAYPAL to accept payment UNLESS you are mailing the item. We lost a good chunk of money this way when the buyer reversed payment 2 days after picking up the item (and then played dumb about the whole thing.) Paypal told us that he was lying about not knowing about the reversal, but since we had no tracking number to prove he had received the item they would not reverse back in our favor. We had him sign a receipt saying he had received the item when he picked up, we had emails from him telling how much he loved his new item and more, all forwarded on to paypal but they still wouldn't reverse. Lesson learnt... you have to play by their rules, no exceptions allowed... so make sure you KNOW the rules.

I don't know what to suggest about the S/H. As long as your buyer can figure the final price including S/H I don't know that it matters.

HTH.

7. Sparticle

Ok, I think I'll just do it cash only and have them pick up from work where there's a security guard sitting right there in the front. thanks!

8. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

What is craigslist and where do I find it?

9. patience

patience Well-Known Member

10. bryon huff

bryon huff Well-Known Member

sold my camper in 1 day cash

11. Sparticle

I see someone gave you the link. Make sure you click on the closest city to you (right side) before you start your search.