Craftsman tool chest

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Explorer, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a couple roll around Craftsman tool chests with black plastic tops. The chests are about 30" high with large casters. The top is about 3" deep with tool wells. Dose anyone know a way to remove the plastic top without destroying it as I would like to put them under an existing bench. The bench is at is maximum comfortable working height now. If all else fails, I can just cut them off.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Not being familiar with said box, can you remove the castors instead? How much height needs to be lost?

3. Explorer

I want to keep them mobil. Castors are about 2" wheels for a total height of 3"+. I need to lose about 2 1/2", top of molded plastic is just under 3". so getting rid of the top would solve the problem. If I take the top off, I could make a new cover out of 3/8" high density plywood and it would fit (if I keep the floor swept :happy: ).

4. Explorer

Success! :rock: I got a chance to go to my nearest Sears store (5 hours away - 250+ miles) and got the answer. Several young ladies were sure the plastic top and steel sides were molded as one piece. Finally got the manager, he made a phone call, and it's bolted on. Actually the are four small lag screws, one in each corner very close to the sides holding the top down. You have to take out one or more drawers just to see and then have access to with a socket wrench.

The good news is that there is about a 7/16" steel rim on the top of the chest which with make an ideal trim to hold the new plywood top in place by gravity.