Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a used 10" radial arm saw the other day. It's something that I would like to own but what should I look for before I buy it?

Do bearings typically wear out? Does the cutting path get out of wack?

It was only $75.

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Saltine American
6,258 Posts
I have a dealt I bought more than 40 years ago and did have to replace the bearings a few years ago. I assume u r talking about the wood top when u mention cutting path and they are easy to replace.

·
Premium Member
15,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to see how old it is.

By cutting path I meant the mechanism that guides the blade.

·
Saltine American
6,258 Posts
The arm.. There is a little play in mine and I check it with a square when I do fine cutting, The arm has a track and the cutting head rides on bearings when u pull it forward. Pull the cutting head back and forth to see if there are any problems rolling

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I saw a used 10" radial arm saw the other day. It's something that I would like to own but what should I look for before I buy it?

Do bearings typically wear out? Does the cutting path get out of wack?

It was only $75.
Sounds like a good deal. Cut a 2x8 oak board and see how it works. I have two dewalt 12in. both are 20 years old and still in good condition.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I bought a new Craftsman 12" double compound sliding miter saw that I used building my bathroom, and greenhouse (and many other uses since). I only paid $200 for brand new, but mostly not to deal with somebody else's leftover junk.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Had one years ago. Did have a problem with dead on accuracy. Even had their service department out a couple times. Last guy told me if I was going to be that picky, go buy a high price saw. Used it for long time, knowing it limitations. A neighbor kept bugging me to buy it, so finally sold it.

·
Premium Member
18,077 Posts
I have a 10" Craftsman radial arm saw. I'd say it is about 30 or more years old. On the one hand, I have never had a problem with it, but on the other hand, I don't use it that much...maybe once or twice a year. I'd rather have a miter saw.

Reactions: po boy

·
Saltine American
6,258 Posts
The radial arm was the first big too I got. My company gave awards points based on performance and the saw is one of the things I got.
I have a regular mitre saw and a sliding mitre saw. The radial arm is set up for ripping.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Radial arms just aren't that useful or safe. Too many moving parts. A decent miter saw is much better. A good table saw with a riving knife is much safer for ripping.

That being said, once set up, they do work. Our lumber yard has one set up to use for customer requested cuts.

It works fine, but has no blade brake, so is a bit sketchy to use.

·
Premium Member
15,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the ripping feature. I also like the length of the cut. I'll be building a house in the next few years so I'm going to need some bigger tools.

·
Premium Member
15,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm planning on getting one of those "instant stop" table saws because I have a tendency to work long past my attention and want to be buried with all my fingers.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Have one of these disassembled in the shed. Going on 50 years old and the only issue has been the wood top needing replacement.

Jeff

·
Registered
382 Posts
101pigs had a good idea. Take a board with you, when you go to look at the saw. If it cuts a straight, 90 degree line. It should be ok for occasional use. I have a 1962 model Dewalt, 8 inch blade.I am the second owner,excellent condition, I only use it for crosscut.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Radial arms just aren't that useful or safe.
I was wondering who would be the first to mention the safety aspect. After seeing the results on a guy's hand, I was always a little hesitant to use them. I have a shop full of saws that will do about the same job for me.
I have seen a lot, a whole lot, of those radial arm saws sold at estate sales and auctions for next to nothing.
Some looked like they spent their whole life in a leaky lean too cutting rough sawn timbers and catching rain; others looked like the day they were put on the hardware store sales floor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts