Cracks/cuts on fingertips....your best remedy.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kathy NW Ohio, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Kathy NW Ohio

Kathy NW Ohio Well-Known Member

What are your best remedies for cracks or cuts on fingertips? What do you do to heal the cuts? The person having this problem works on construction of houses. So far, he has tried the fingertip bandages, but it is not working. Any suggestions I could tell him ? Thanks for all replies.

2. Colleen in WI

Colleen in WI Well-Known Member

My husband works on furnaces and air conditioners and gets cut a lot. He uses super glue to glue the cuts shut. He said to hold the cut shut after the bleeding stops and put a layer of glue on it. I was skeptical, but it really works. Just reapply the glue as needed.

3. Jo in PA

Jo in PA Well-Known Member

When my hubby worked construction he had the same problem. He would wrap his fingers where they were cracking with a cloth tape, the type you would use for bandages. Make sure it is cloth as the plasic type wouldn't work. At night he would put cream on them. Then tape back up the next day to go to work. There is no way to keep them from cracking when you work with wood all day.

4. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

I did concrete and masonry for years and my fingers got dry, they cracjed and bled all the time, especially at the inside of the joints.

I guy I worked with told me about a product called, "No Crack", it really worked well to get rid of this problem. I am not sure of how far away from western Wisconsin this porduct is distrbuted,since it is made locally, but if you can get it buy it, it really works well.

The glue idea seem interesting.

5. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Instead of super glue they have a first aid product out called 2nd skin. Us checkers used it a lot and now that I am not checking I love to use bag balm.

6. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

One of those wax thingies. soak hands and or feet in warm wax, let stand for a while and peel the wax. A few days of that and it will be healed.

7. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

My Mom used to do work where her hands would dry out and crack, especially her fingers. She found that witch hazel worked well.

8. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

Bag balm helps keep your skin from cracking. Pretty amazing stuff.

Real good on babies butts too.

Eric

9. Sioux Nation

Sioux Nation Active Member

My BIL works in fiberglassing and uses chapstick on his hands and fingers. It works.

10. Lois

Lois Active Member

The best thing I've found is a home remedy made from the cottonwood/poplar buds. You pick them in spring just before they open. I usually freeze them and work them up in the winter. I just crush them in some olive oil and let them soak a few days, then drain the oil and add it to a little melted beeswax. The beeswax makes the mixture become solid. So far as I know, it's the resin from the buds that are the active ingredient. I don't bother with exact measurement. However I make it, it works great. Hope this helps.

11. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Superglue works to close the wound, but it stings!!! Doctors use it all the time to close small wounds that don't really need stitches, or in places that stitches might scar. It wears off in about a week. I use a prescription strength moisturizer on my hands and feet to help with cracking. It's nice and creamy, but not greasy like most strong moisturizers. It's got a natural exfoliant in it made from milk, and it helps slough off dead skin. Another good fix is a mix of olive oil and beeswax, made the thickness of a paste. He could also try applying lotion, and then wear cotton or hospital gloves around for awhile, and definately wear some type of lotion and glove when he can at work.

12. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

bandaid brand makes a product specifically for this, it works really well if you follow the directions.

13. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I really think this is trial and error. Everyone's skin is different and what works for one might not work for another. I tried bag balm on my hands for dryness and it seemed to make no difference at all. Glycerin though (Corn Husker's lotion) works like a charm! I use Corn Huskers AND Lubriderm every night to try to keep ahead of the dryness problem. Then when I get cracks (less often than it used to happen) I use the bag balm or neosporin overnight under a band aid to soften the skin, knock out the infection and help it to heal. The bandaid won't last during the day but 2-3 nights of treatment usually fix it for me and it is less painful during the day with the infection under control.

14. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Tea Tree Oil. My Daddy's fingers crack something terrible, especially now that he's been on chemo so long. I got him a bottle of tea tree oil and he's convinced it's the best stuff every. Makes those painful cracks heal up real quick.

15. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

"Carmex"
    $1.29 for the little jar with a yellow cover.

16. pamintexas

pamintexas Well-Known Member

Aloe vera works for me. Either the plant or the store-bought gel.

17. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    Often times I find I have this problem when I drink lots of nice hot coffee in the cool winter. My skin gets dry when I am mildly dehydrated. Upping the amount of water seems to help from the 'inside out' so to speak.

18. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Good old Chapstick works for me, put in in the cracks several times a day.

19. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

Corn Huskers Lotion helps sooth my chapped palms from holding so tightly on the broomstick.

20. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

To prevent it I use whatever is around, bag balm, corn huskers, zim's crack cream, generic glycerin, etc. For the cracks I use good old cyanoacrylate superglue. Burns and stings pretty good but it does hold a cut or crack closed pretty well. Be advised though, the common super glue is not the medically approved stuff. There are some differences. I wouldn't use standard superglue for heart surgery but for fixing annoying cuts and splits on fingers it works great.