Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have a cracked rib. Nothing serious. What can I do to, keep the soreness and very minor pain. Thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
They used to bind the area, but found that restricting the lungs caused pneumonia... grin and bear it!
I pushed on a shovel handle earlier this year with my ribs... stupid move.... and am sure I cracked some as well. It hurts bad for a short time, then subsides.
Whatever pain killer you usually use will be fine!

Debbie
(the nurse)

·
Registered
408 Posts
First make sure it is just a cracked rib.
Yes binding the rib area can cause pneumonia but you might want to bind your ribs while you are active and remove when resting and sleeping.
You can splint the area ( put your hand over the area or use a pillow) if you have to cough and such.
Pain meds will help and try to do some deep breathing when your pain med is working it's best to help reduce risk of pneumonia.
Good luck
Janis
Also a nurse

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
While carrying one of my kids(years ago) I fell on the stairs and had to take the force on my ribs to protect him. I cracked 3 ribs. I could not catch my breath. Just like getting the wind knocked out of you but there was no relief. The DR. wrapped my ribs with an ace bandage. That was the only way I could breath.It took 3-4 weeks before i could breath without being wrapped up. Just removing them long enough to take a shower,I was just worn out from trying to breath.

Hope this helps.

Wade

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I think if you cracked it you would have more than minor pain. I bruised my ribs and it took about one full month to be free of all discomfort. For 3 weeks I had to sleep flat on my back and had to ice the ribs down as needed for over 2 weeks as well. To sleep, I took 2 ibuprofens just before bed time each day and tried to tough it out for the rest of the time. In the first week, I had to take 2 more ibuprofens at about 3AM when the first two wore off. By 3 weeks I was off most of the ibuprofens. At 4 weeks "poof" it was all gone.

Otherwise, you can do as normal of activities as possible.

Sounds like you just have a bruise.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Bruised ribs can hurt worse than broken ones. I once fell out of the back of my pick-up and broke three ribs. Went to the doctor who checked me over , prescribed painkillers and told me to breath deeply. As I crawled towards the door he repeated. Breath deeply or your left lung will collapse OUCH. DEEP BREATH.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
I've broken ribs four times in my life. The worst was getting kicked by a calf, broke three that time. I had the doctor xray it and they were broke, but he said you'll just have to live with it until it heals. Gave me a prescription for pain killers, but I never filled it. The worst is sneezing, everytime I sneezed it about put me on the floor.

Bob

·
Registered
595 Posts
I broke, cracked or bruised a couple ribs in July. Never went to the doc so not sure which. I'm still having pain occassionally. Especially if I lay on that side. I found arnica gel to help. Especially right after it happened. Only way I could sleep was some arnica gel and ibuprofen.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Must be going round! Sunday Dh fell backwards on the front steps and broke three of the short ribs on the left side at the bottom. After HOURS waiting in the ER for the cat scan results, all the doctor did was give him a prescription for percocet and a back brace. Said they have to just heal on their own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts