Homesteading Forum banner

Cracked pond??

892 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PonderosaQ 
#1 ·
Finally started cleaning out the pond at my new home. It's a cement pond and appears to have cracks that have been sealed with now shrunken caulking. Ideas for the best way to repair these cracks, please.

Thanks,
PQ

#3 ·
Considering the home is new to you and you obviously want to make the best of the pond, I would suggest you do not fill cracks. Rather, add a whole new layer. This can be done using "neat cement" and nylon mesh. Neat cement is a slurry of portland and water. Although they do sell alkalai resistant meshes, they are problably not needed here since the liner is not structural. Window screen or nylon mesh from wal-mart would work. Position the screen and broom the cement into/over it. By the way, how big is the pond?

#4 ·
my cement pond would crack about every other year. I did the sealing caulk method and the re-surface method. It would still get cracks. I got smart and bought a heavy-duty pond liner. It is a flat flexible rubber like sheat with a lifetime warrenty. They come in muliple sizes (small to BIG BIG) from Trickers water garden in Independence, Ohio (near Cleveland) It was some good money up front but have never had a leak since. When you consider the money and time spent repairing cracks the investment was well worth it. You can find them on line.

#7 ·
Guess I'll check with the concrete supply place and see what ideas they have. The pond I am talking about is a decorative pond, not for livestock, but lining it would be hard. The edge going out into the garden etc is all joined in with the body of the pond. Don't have time, money or more so energy right now for redoing that....but warm sunny days may energize me. Thanks everyone,

PQ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.